BG RD75 in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do any of the Aussie members know who the BG distributor in Australia is.

Parts Express (US) said they weren't allowed to send BG product out of the US, presumably at the request of BG.

I have contacted BG enquiring as to who their local distributor but they haven't got back to me.

Can anyone help me?

thanks,
Nigel.

Save $600 by importing from PE? I haven't done the exact maths yet but 2xRD50s from PE plus postage costs around $1550 when shipping is included. $950x2=$1900. A difference of $350, but doesn't take into account import duty. Any ideas what import duty is on imported electronics? And then the Australian distributor said he could provide a lower price so I thought it might be cheaper.

This is off the radar for me now for a while anyhow. Would be interested to know what import duty is if anyoqne knows.

Regards

Matt

It's a pity the prices aren't a bit closer.

Assuming PE are making a profit you could expect the wholesale price of the RD50s is closer to $400 a piece. So if the Aust agents could get this price I'd assume with some bundling on freight the local price should be closer to the US retail price.

With a global market these days it is too easy to compare prices and wonder where the costs are to get into Aust.

Agreed. I read some DIY project from the US that sounds exciting and affordable then when you look at what it'll cost you once you've source all the parts (that are usually made in China then shipped to the US then shipped to us) it doesn't look so inviting. Could be worse. I've noticed that some of those European countries the speaker parts actually cost more in the country that designs the things than in the US. Now that's really gotta **** you off.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Never mind.

Will probably just use a US forwarding service and purchase a few panels from Parts Express.

Am currently having the idea of going for a pair of RD40 instead of single RD75 for each side. Stick a small mundorf amt dipole tweeter between the two RD40s. Anyone see a possible issue with this idea, instead of a single RD75 with a mundorf amt dipole tweeter on the side?

No I didn't, and I think your idea of using a forwarder makes sense as I was unable to get a direct supply from the usual seller in the US - apparently company policy is that we have to go through the Australian agent, which is fair enough I suppose but they don't seem to carry stock and were a lot dearer than the US price plus freight + taxes + whatever.

On a more positive note my friend has a pair of RD75s and they sound exceptionally good on the end of his Meitner/Conrad Johnson Premier 8 system but have been transformed with the addition of a pair of Aurum Cantus G2si tweeters a side, rolling in at about 7k I think. He supplements bass with the bottom end of a big genesis system (2 x 12" a side with a genesis bass amp system).

I have also wondered about going with some of the smaller rd series so would be interested in seeing how it turns out if you go that way.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Will keep you updated either on here or SNA forum.

I did some measuring yesterday and I think I'll go ahead with the RD40 - Mundorf AMT17d2.1 - RD40 config, instead of the single RD75 with tweeter on the side. I'm bit scared of reading how people with RD75 report buzzing noises due to the metal frame not tight or whatever. My simpleton thinking is that a shorter unit may have less chance of possibility for these sorts of issues. Plus the vertical alignment would be sonically advantageous. Maybe. The mundorf amt driver has quite even dispersion and better extension too. Only negative is that 4 RD40 costs more with more for shipping too.

Must sell off some unused hifi stuff first before can get project on the road though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.