HELP!!! What power supply do I need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thank you in advance for your patience and help. I have a pair of ES-100 Audiostatic speakers. I know NOTHING about such fancy speakers. These were my late husband's, and they were in storage. I am trying to sell them, but I don't even know if they work. We never took them out of storage to use them in the four years that we were together. There is some kind of power adapter/supply that I seem to need, but I have no idea what to get. The 12-volt universal adapter that I purchased does not appear to work. Help, please!!! I have been looking online to see if I can find information and so far, no success. I have also contacted the Audiostatic company, but I have yet to get a response.:confused:

power supply

Hello and welcome to diy,
Unfortunately the power adapter connectors included with these speakers were unique and specific to these units. I've heard of people completely modifying the internal power source but that could get expensive. I hope this helps.
Chris

There is some kind of power adapter/supply that I seem to need, but I have no idea what to get. The 12-volt universal adapter that I purchased does not appear to work.

The 12-volt universal adapter you purchased was probably 12volt DC.
The ES-100 require 12volt AC which is not a commonly sold power adapter.
How long did you leave the 12volt DC adapter plugged in to the ES-100 Speaker?
I ask because using DC instead of AC adapter can overheat and damage a small transformer inside the ES-100 speaker.

I believe I have a couple 12VAC adapters left over from some previous repair projects.
I'll see if I can locate them, and contact you later next week.

Here is a woman who lost her husband and now has to address some gear very strange to her (and almost everybody). Instead of "engineering" advice, can't somebody provide mature guidance about the wisest way for her to proceed.

What observations or tests are possible for a novice at little or no cost?

What do the misplaced electrical pieces look like in a dusty garage?

What is the dollar picture: what the units might be worth at best and at most likely, what getting them functional might cost, where to get help at what cost, what computes?

What quadrant of the cosmos do you live in, lkidder?

Ben

Instead of "engineering" advice, can't somebody provide mature guidance about the wisest way for her to proceed.

Ah hah! I was reading quickly and missed the buried phase "I am trying to sell them".
I was addressing the question mentioned in the thread title and the rest of the text.

You don't see Audiostatics for sale often here in the USA, so it is tough to recommend a selling price.
I do remember that a non-working pair sold on Ebay a few months ago for $600. So, that is at least one data point.

I think the best way to proceed is first to determine if they are in working order, so you know what to ask for when selling.
lkidder, I have sent you a DIYaudio Instant Message with my contact information.

Thank you!!!

Thank you all so much for your input! I can't tell you how greatly I appreciate it. If I ever get into high-end stereo equipment in the future, I am definitely keeping this forum in mind for questions and feedback.

Chris--that was what I was afraid of. Due to the manner in which my husband packed things, I may have come across them in another box and having no idea what they were, I probably got rid of them. Doh!

bolserst--bless you, I will definitely be in touch. And thank you for the information about the price. That helps tremendously.

Ben--thank you so much for looking out for me. Yes, for a short time I did consider setting them up and using them myself, but it never happened. Now I've got to get rid of them, but with the amount of money involved the buyer wants to make sure that they work. I don't blame him; I would, too. To answer your question, I am in the West Texas quadrant of the cosmos at present.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.