Diy AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But if you draw your tracks with a conductive ink, provided it adhere to the film of course, may be you'll improve the bending of the film with your jig. Moreover, this should reduce its weight, which in turn will improve the IR with an immediate consequence : improvement on the transients !

You don't think so ?

I have not tried conductive ink.
I have the silhouette cutter to make my traces.

I have just tried to make a diaphragm with PVDC film ,alu and no paper.
Too soft.Tried to bake it at 170 dg. No way.
Now i am going to laminate 3m tape with alu/paper, remove the paper, cut traces,and laminate with PVDC.
This way there is only the soft PVDC in the "hinges".

Bernt

good idea, i tried without paper to and its all over the place :) to bad this method is not suitable for my way of working ;( i don't have a silhouette :)(yet)

im looking forward for your next version.

But if you draw your tracks with a conductive ink, provided it adhere to the film of course, may be you'll improve the bending of the film with your jig. Moreover, this should reduce its weight, which in turn will improve the IR with an immediate consequence : improvement on the transients !

You don't think so ?

there is no glue or ink that is as conductive as aluminium , unless its very good silver nano particles or graphene.... so in the end you will add more weight in the form of binder. then there is the need for a printer that can deposit it.... even more ingredients are needed to blast some silver out of a nozzle.
alu is the way to go, to be honest
further if you would use a very thin membrane and copper as coil there might be even a change ge to get a flat response instead of the 6dB oct low pass filter seen in most contraptions of mine.

and a lower resonance

Last edited:
Measurements
soft_150mm_sandwich_7mm.JPG
[/url][/IMG]
soft_25cm_7mm_sandwich.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
soft_100cm_7mm_sandwich.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hmmmm.
App. resfreq. 290 Hz.
Diaphragm 150x32x7mm.flat horn.
Bernt

I used my open magnetsystem for the last test.It has not as strong field as the one used at the first test, Double Kitharo.

Bernt
Very interesting. And it showed up already in the impedance measurement.
I think you are on to something here, båndsei :idea:.
The magnetic field strength is then not only about SPL, but also about frequency response and then especially in the low end.
Revisiting my measurements (back pole pieces mounted or not) didn't show this though, but I'll keep it in mind.

i can imagine having good solid pleats could be a benefit, otherwise aluminium tends to go sideways just like normal ribbons. adding weight decreases resonance as well of course.

paper is one of the best in damping so both could be true. i wonder what a complete paper membrane would do :) i got some different papers , one of them is Japanese rice paper it is very noiseless if you know what i mean. and very thin. just liek noiseless PVCD soo very soft

something funny is if it where more stiff the resonance would go up , instead of down. so my guess is paper performs some damping.

its so funny you can perform so many tests :) i sometimes wonder if the company's did alll these tests and fiddling as well or just settled with a common design

Last edited:
Still experimenting with foil, film and paper.
Made a diaphragm with 7my alu/paper and PVDC.
7mm. depth and 160mm. with a retainer in the middle 2X80mm.
The paper on 7my alu/paper is not parting on heat.
Strange result!!
1000 Hz. resonance frequence .
Weight is a very important factor.
Will make a diaphragm with 10my alu 80gr. paper and pvdc. 7mm deep. 2x80mm.

Bernt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.