Words best speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who is "word"?

No such thing as a best speaker. Only one that has a set of compromises best suited to the application.

dave
Grease is the "word" Have you heard? Have you heard? Sorry..
I am a point source kind of guy myself. It would be cool to experiment with an individual module of that speaker though. Very intriguing..
Anyway, are you saying that your speakers are on the same level as these? You seem a little defensive(Yikes)..

Last edited:
No i'm not saying, but mine certainly suit one of my compromises much better than these: budget. And my speakers (& system) are certainly capable of connecting me emotionally to the music. What more can one ask.

dave

Very good point. I agree 100%! Years ago, when my father saw my high end system at the time(Dunlavy & Conrad Johnson), he was not impressed. He asked "Do you actually need that to connect with the music?" His system of choice? A boombox from the Goodwill. It's all relative..

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
100db/1wm is inefficient? I read somewhere that they use a 1 ton press to connect the two sides of each module before riveting..
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/LS4-&-LS3-Brochure.pdf

I just assummed -- i was going off of a video i sae. Electrodynamic planars that go down to 80 Hz are not usually very efficient. I'd like to see a FR to go along with the 97 dB efficiency (they are 4 ohms). Guess that argument goes out the window if they indeed are that efficient,

dave

i agree with you on that, but there are other things that we need to consider.

at times measurement can be validated by the ears (or at least mine), so tech, measurements, design and concept that translate into manufacturing to create a product i believe are the key points to make such a speaker a great performer.

there are some indicators that we can use, and similar properties of those indicators by well received drivers or speakers, although not limited to such indicators is at least what we should be discussing about in this forum.

henry

i agree with you on that, but there are other things that we need to consider.

at times measurement can be validated by the ears (or at least mine), so tech, measurements, design and concept that translate into manufacturing to create a product i believe are the key points to make such a speaker a great performer.

there are some indicators that we can use, and similar properties of those indicators by well received drivers or speakers, although not limited to such indicators is at least what we should be discussing about in this forum.

henry
You seem to know what to look for. Read the (subjective? Yes..)brochure. As of yet, it's the only thing we can really go by..

Last edited:
ok, i will read that.

but what interests you in this particular speaker?
It is beautiful, like a top of the line Mercedes, and the technology involved is extreme. But I will hear it next year at "THE SHOW Newport" and may love, hate, or be indifferent to the sound. I won't know until then..
Either way, I could never afford it. Oh well..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.