Words best speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that I think about it, this picture must have been with an earlier prototype. The current model uses a reticulated copper foam for the tweeter diaphragm. I wonder how they apply the voice coil to the foam? ERG: Duocel® copper Foam Properties

I'm not sure the foam looking copper IS the diaphragm.....

I downloaded the hi rez picture from Wisdom's website. It looks like it is just laying in front of the actual tweeter diaphragm.

I can't work out how it could be the transducer. Could it be placed in front of the tweeter diaphragm for some other purpose? Possibly a low pass filter, progressively attenuating higher frequencies. Or are all of those tiny chambers acting like diffusion at super high frequencies?

Greg

Last edited:
This video explains the copper foam(Your right Greg, it's not the tweeter). Also, definitely looks like bonded logic behind the tweeter. probably the same for the larger panels. The amazing STS(Streamer trunk sized) subwoofer is also explained..
CEDIA 2011: Wisdom Audio Series LS4 Speaker Review - YouTube
Here is another enlightening video from The Newport show.
Wisdom Audio THE Show Newport - YouTube
20,000 watts power handling @ 100db/1wm for the LS-4? WOW!

Just did the math. That's 143db!!
I did a typo on the STS, it's "Steamer" not streamer..

Last edited:
100db/1wm is inefficient? I read somewhere that they use a 1 ton press to connect the two sides of each module before riveting..
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/LS4-&-LS3-Brochure.pdf

Here is a quote from Todd Sutherland, VP Marketing, Wisdom Audio:

The original design concept by David Graebener used all neodymium magnets and the sensitivity was way too high, up around 115dB! Those of us that actually have to sell these things had to talk David down to using a combination of ceramic and neo magnets to bring the sensitivity down to 100dB for the LS4.

Sneak Peak at Wisdom Audio's $40,000-per-channel "Wilson Killers" -

Last edited:
I wonder if you could make a poor(OK, Middle class) man's version of the LS-4 with an RD-75 (or nine Neo 8's) and 14 Neo10's. It wouldn't be as efficient, but it would be pretty much the same basic technology that could also be crossed over at the same 750 hz point and with about a 4000w peak power handling ability(with the Neo 8's). It could also probably do around 80hz. All for only $8,000 a pair(With a good dsp crossover added).. WHOOPEE!

Last edited:
I wonder if you could make a poor(OK, Middle class) man's version of the LS-4 with an RD-75 (or nine Neo 8's) and 14 Neo10's. It wouldn't be as efficient, but it would be pretty much the same basic technology that could also be crossed over at the same 750 hz point and with about a 4000w peak power handling ability(with the Neo 8's). It could also probably do around 80hz. All for only $8,000 a pair(With a good dsp crossover added).. WHOOPEE!

I thought the same exact thing when the LS-4 was revealed. You could do it with pairs of mini Maggies flanking an RD series driver too. Too bad the small Maggies are only 'push' planars rather than push-pull. Efficiency is too low for my tastes, but they have more surface area(hence lower cut-off) than some Neo10s. I lived with MMGs for several years and was generally happy, but wanted more and the DIY bug bit again.

Greg

Go big or go home! These MMG W are 38" tall and 10" wide. Less if you remove the driver from the frame. Two stacked vertically matches the RD-75 pretty well and they are only $325/pr. That's right in line with the neo10, BUT waaayyyyy larger. Wire the pair on either side of the Rd-75 in series and then parallel those with the other side and BAM, back to 4 Ohms and plenty of surface area to dump a lot of power into. Cross to the RD-75 at about 500 Hz. I would make a nice framed cavity in the wall and stuff the crap out of it with Bonded Logic. I think I need a separate home theater now!

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW

Greg

Last edited:
Go big or go home! These MMG W are 38" tall and 10" wide. Less if you remove the driver from the frame. Two stacked vertically matches the RD-75 pretty well and they are only $325/pr. That's right in line with the neo10, BUT waaayyyyy larger. Wire the pair on either side of the Rd-75 in series and then parallel those with the other side and BAM, back to 4 Ohms and plenty of surface area to dump a lot of power into. Cross to the RD-75 at about 500 Hz. I would make a nice framed cavity in the wall and stuff the crap out of it with Bonded Logic. I think I need a separate home theater now!

MMGW - Magnepan, Inc.

Greg
Your right. That configuration would work with a 500hz crossover point. Very economical too(Relatively speaking). I wonder if the MMG W's could be used in a sealed box without much of a problem..

Your right. That configuration would work with a 500hz crossover point. Very economical too(Relatively speaking). I wonder if the MMG W's could be used in a sealed box without much of a problem..

Ah yes, that's a good point I had not considered yet. Maggies are tuned to be resonant at a certain point to maximize their low end output. Too small of an enclosure might accentuate that effect. OK, larger box that protrudes from the wall a bit and generous amounts of cotton to kill the back wave. That ought to do it. Let's add that killer IB sub I've always wanted too. Stereo line arrays of Dayton Reference sound good?

MMGW - Magnepan, Inc.

Greg
Just found this..

Magnepan MMG Speaker System Measurements | Home Theater
Ouch! Actually, it would probably work perfectly in a sealed chamber(Or mounted on the wall by the supplied hinge). Also, the high's would be way more elevated at the actual listening distance. At one meter, they just don't have time to develop..

Last edited:
Just found this..

Ouch! Actually, it would probably work perfectly in a sealed chamber(Or mounted on the wall by the supplied hinge). Also, the high's would be way more elevated at the actual listening distance. At one meter, they just don't have time to develop..

Well, that looks downright scary at first glance, BUT if these were mounted in an enclosure, I think we would find that the midbass area of interest btw 100-500hz would come back up into line with the sensitivity of the rest of the range since there would be no more dipole roll-off. And we would be using multiple units which ought to couple their output and gain a little free lunch there too. I still think with good active DSP it is a serious possibility to create a butt-kicking, name-taking system based on this idea. Who's gonna pull the trigger? I'll offer friendly encouragement!

Greg

Greg
Come to think of it, a single Neo 10 on the same sized panel as the mmg w, will have much better low frequency extension(-5db @ 130hz) much lower distortion(due to the balanced, symetrical motor arrangement), and a much higher efficiency than the MMG W, for only $75.00 more per pair(That's including baffles for the Neo 10's)..
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-FR.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-HD-50-1.5k.gif
http://www.hometheater.com/content/magnepan-mmg-speaker-system-measurements
Of course I'm using your Neo 10's(Measured by Zaph) to prove a point. (heh heh)

Last edited:
Greg
Come to think of it, a single Neo 10 on the same sized panel as the mmg w, will have much better low frequency extension(-5db @ 130hz) much lower distortion(due to the balanced, symetrical motor arrangement), and a much higher efficiency than the MMG W, for only $75.00 more per pair(That's including baffles for the Neo 10's)..
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-FR.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-HD-50-1.5k.gif
Of course I'm using your Neo 10's(Measured by Zaph) to prove a point. (heh heh)

Buzzkill!

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.