Words best speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
personally , i thnks the world's best speakers are done by Danley sound labs !! theses are very powerful and efficient.

OMG, so many contrasting criteria for quality. i think it is permissible for me to say "I am laughing out loud" even if it is discourteous to claim anyone else might be doing the same.

Less obliquely, the qualities that draw us to ESL and planars are about as opposite to the Danley charms you favor that anything could be.

Yes, sometimes I visit other DIY speaker forums... and with my ESL-type attitudes feel very much like a lost sheep... and nowhere more than among the enthusiastic crowd using tapped horns.

Ben

Last edited:
Don't underestimate Tom Danley's Tapped Horns. IMHO, everyone who has not heard a wellconstructed TH with expanding crossection area still has one sensation left. Soundcharacter is very OB-like and musical.
Have a look at this experiment that I was involved in: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/214545-open-baffle-horn-hybrid-2.html#post3064108 .

/Erling
I was thrilled at the prospect of a double-blind listening test comparing a Danley speaker with an ESL.

Of course you are 100% correct to use the word "experiment" to mean "novel construction effort." And a nice one too! I like OB designs - all ESLs are OBs.

There was a link to the Audio Circle. No access for me. Maybe the "experiment" in my sense of the word is located there.

Ben

After examining Danley's website, the upper frequency "point source" horns just don't seem very Hi Fi to me. Good for Filling large venues with articulate sound? Yes. But a "musical sounding" home Hi Fi speaker system? Hmm... That just seems like a little bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
After examining Danley's website, the upper frequency "point source" horns just don't seem very Hi Fi to me. Good for Filling large venues with articulate sound? Yes. But a "musical sounding" home Hi Fi speaker system? Hmm... That just seems like a little bit of a stretch.

At last years Infocomm, Danley had a large space with many of their models hooked up for demo. They did a nice presentation of switching top boxes and subs with lots of variety in musical selections. In general, the sound was excellent for PA purposes, but not what I would consider revealing at all. Home theater? Maybe, but hi-fi, no way.

Greg

Interesting quote from someone on the AVS forum about using MMGW in a three way with a tall, DIY ribbon.

"I had 4 MMG-Ws for a while...wasn't impressed and sent them back. Very audible drum resonance...think it was around 400Hz, but that was several years ago, so not sure if the frequency is correct.. I used them briefly with a tall ribbon and an 18" BMS dipole woofer."

Greg

My comment above is for a TH covering at best 40 - 200/250 Hz level. Done rightly with say a suitable 8" or 10" unit for domestic use I think that any sub or bass construction for the same Hi-Fi purpose would have tough competition.

You are of course right in that Danley is PA all the way. I didn't discuss that.

/Erling

It is beautiful, like a top of the line Mercedes, and the technology involved is extreme. But I will hear it next year at "THE SHOW Newport" and may love, hate, or be indifferent to the sound. I won't know until then..

I listened to this system with both the presenter's media and our own media at this year's THE Show in Irvine/Newport Beach. Impressive, indeed...
however, what distracted me was the image size -- particularly, solo voice.
The scale was SO large as to be approaching the grotesque.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.