Words best speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are certainly the current SOTA for planar drivers...and you KNOW I love planars so, I'm guessing that they could be very special indeed. High SPL, most likely very low distortion, high quality DSP, what's not to like?

Certainly trying to push the boundaries of transducer technology, which is a far bit more difficult than just buying some Scan Speak or SB Acoustics drivers and making a pretty box.

Greg

Last edited:
how do Wisdom kill the back wave.Thin film close to the wall.

I've been wondering about that myself. Probably bonded logic .
Bonded Logic - Construction Products - Acoustical Panels
This stuff is amazing. Works almost exactly like (expensive)wool felt, but made out of recycled cotton clothing. I use it and so does Studiotech. I have a 1 foot thick block of it directly behind my enclosed Neo 10. It definitely kills the backwave. Especially with the lower density stuff right behind diaphragm and the higher density stuff toward the back. They probably have about 10" of fillable depth to play with on that Wisdom speaker..

Last edited:
OOOOh I want some of that bonded logic stuff! My best panels have been made from compressed fiberglass ceiling tiles. Now to find a retail supplier. My living room has a couple of "issues" to deal with.

Best speaker in the world is the one that makes you happy. There are many hundreds of speaker makers. If one made a perfect speaker, we would all agree and it would be about how cheap to make it. The search goes on. To put that in perspective no matter how wonderful the sound of an 80K speaker, it is not the best for me being about 80 times my typical DIY build budget.

OOOOh I want some of that bonded logic stuff! My best panels have been made from compressed fiberglass ceiling tiles. Now to find a retail supplier. My living room has a couple of "issues" to deal with.

Best speaker in the world is the one that makes you happy. There are many hundreds of speaker makers. If one made a perfect speaker, we would all agree and it would be about how cheap to make it. The search goes on. To put that in perspective no matter how wonderful the sound of an 80K speaker, it is not the best for me being about 80 times my typical DIY build budget.
When you visit the doctors office, do pick up the automobile magazine in the waiting room with the Bugatti Veyron on the cover, or the one with the Toyota? It's OK to dream!
Even about speakers! They(The expensive ones) may even teach you a thing or two..

Last edited:
Actually, I have no interest in million dollar cars. They are not a dream. They are irrelevant. At that price, they should be perfect and they are not. Now I might pick up the one with the newest Alpha or Audi. Within dream range. I have also found that not once was a ultra high price anything ever given a poor review or discussion. Yet, I have heard some and let's just say I have little faith in reviews.

You make a very good point though. We expect the cutting edge to be telling us something, to be developing new ideas, materials and techniques.

Where I have very much liked several planers I have heard, the physical size and environment requirements have made them irrelevant for me. I can actually use a 6 inch 2-way in my room. Who has the cutting edge there? ( besides me :D )

You'd be surprised how much better is home sound without much absorbent around the speakers (but plenty in the room).

Shredded wood (I forget the brand name) and air space. Real challenge is to get absorbent evenly across the range including down low.

Ben

Given that even the best speakers are maybe 10% of the way it is possible to have 2 very different state-of-the-art speakers that are equally valid.

dave

That is the nature of the loudpeaker/room/listener interface. The state of the loudspeaker art will never equal(In the listening room at the listening position)the linearity of even the worst measuring single ended triode amps..

Last edited:
Graebener with the LS4 diaphragm..http://www.resmagonline.com/uploadedImages/Residential_Systems/Blogs/All_Blogs/IMG_5969.gif
Notice that the tweeter and midrange coils are etched on one single piece of kaladex. They obviously seal off the tweeter like Piega does with their coaxial(But just in the vertical plane). This picture also gives you an idea of how large each module of the LS4 actually is.

Nice find Sherlock! I talked with Mr. Graebener at length many years ago at a CES show, but at the time, they were still using modded variations of the BG Rd-75. I'd love to work for them, but not so sure how I feel about Reno...

Greg

Nice find Sherlock! I talked with Mr. Graebener at length many years ago at a CES show, but at the time, they were still using modded variations of the BG Rd-75. I'd love to work for them, but not so sure how I feel about Reno...

Greg
Greg
I'm not positive, but I think they're located in Carson city(Nicer than Reno)along with BG Radia.
Here is the RD-75 Wisdom..
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/ces2003p7.htm

Last edited:
Graebener with the LS4 diaphragm..http://www.resmagonline.com/uploadedImages/Residential_Systems/Blogs/All_Blogs/IMG_5969.gif
Notice that the tweeter and midrange coils are etched on one single piece of kaladex. They obviously seal off the tweeter like Piega does with their coaxial(But just in the vertical plane). This picture also gives you an idea of how large each module of the LS4 actually is.
Now that I think about it, this picture must have been with an earlier prototype. The current model uses a reticulated copper foam for the tweeter diaphragm. I wonder how they apply the voice coil to the foam? ERG: Duocel® copper Foam Properties

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.