Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
b1o2r3i4s5 is offline b1o2r3i4s5
diyAudio Member
 
b1o2r3i4s5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HK
Default A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.

@DIYAudio folks
I've been keeping this project log on another site but thought you guys may be interested as well so I decided to post it again here. As this project is on-going I'll keep both sides updated.

EDIT: The post won't show up properly here so here's the link to my original post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619661/a-st...nic-headphones

Last edited by b1o2r3i4s5; 6th August 2012 at 11:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
bear is offline bear
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
to post images you have to use the feature in the "Advanced" (normal, not the fast reply at the end of the thread) version where it says manage attachments... or you can link to another website elsewhere.

_-_-bear

PS. What you show in the link (when cut and pasted) "http://i.imgur.com/mZSoO.jpg" is Gerald Shirley's Corona Wind Speaker, that can be seen in the JAES Loudspeakers I Anthology. It dates from the 50's. Doesn't work particularly well... and I would not suggest it for headphones.
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- every once in a while I say something that makes sense... ]

Last edited by bear; 6th August 2012 at 03:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
b1o2r3i4s5 is offline b1o2r3i4s5
diyAudio Member
 
b1o2r3i4s5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HK
Thanks, I guess I'll just link it back to my post on the other site.

I can see how this idea would not work as a speaker because the air pressure it could generate is very limited. My design is based on the Plasmasonic1 headphones (a few decades ago) and they claimed it to work, So I'm determined to test this out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 11:37 PM   #4
bear is offline bear
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
sure you have a better shot at a headphone... but the size of the array will need to be fairly large, and you will also emit a huge amount of ozone in an enclosed space next to your ears... maybe not so good?

No need to run away...

Got a link to those headphones?
Was this a commercial product?

You might want to look into the Hill Plasmatronic loud speaker... a bit different, but similar...

anyhow you will need a large number of emitting points... to start to get sound...

_-_-bear
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- every once in a while I say something that makes sense... ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
b1o2r3i4s5 is offline b1o2r3i4s5
diyAudio Member
 
b1o2r3i4s5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
sure you have a better shot at a headphone... but the size of the array will need to be fairly large, and you will also emit a huge amount of ozone in an enclosed space next to your ears... maybe not so good?

No need to run away...

Got a link to those headphones?
Was this a commercial product?

You might want to look into the Hill Plasmatronic loud speaker... a bit different, but similar...

anyhow you will need a large number of emitting points... to start to get sound...

_-_-bear
Yes, link to the Plasmasonic1 was in my original post.
but for your convenience: Plasmasonic
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 12:25 AM   #6
bear is offline bear
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
Yeah, well you cheated, you went back and changed ur post!

_-_-bear
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- every once in a while I say something that makes sense... ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 12:32 AM   #7
bear is offline bear
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
Ok, now I see the link...

You should stop and take a moment to breathe and think.

The power supply you built is unsafe.

What you want is a multiplier that uses high voltage diodes and high voltage, low capacitance (like 2000pf or so) high voltage ceramic discs. The thing you have built is DEADLY.

DO NOT CONTINUE UNTIL YOU LEARN SOME MORE - Please.

Also the caps will blow out, since they can not handle the peak voltages they may see...

You will NEED some very high Megohm, high voltage rated resistors. You must use them. If for some reason you do not know what you need them for, that alone is enough of a reason to stop your experiment now.

The thing you have built is hyper dangerous as it stands.

You can make it safe, but this is not a trivial thing - your life is at risk at this voltage level with the current you can discharge from that supply (or so it seems, as it looks from the images - I didn't see a schematic, if you posted it).

Please take this seriously.

Thanks.

_-_-bear


PS. it is a worthwhile thing to try... but you have to know how to not kill urself in the process!
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- every once in a while I say something that makes sense... ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 01:58 AM   #8
b1o2r3i4s5 is offline b1o2r3i4s5
diyAudio Member
 
b1o2r3i4s5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Ok, now I see the link...

You should stop and take a moment to breathe and think.

The power supply you built is unsafe.

What you want is a multiplier that uses high voltage diodes and high voltage, low capacitance (like 2000pf or so) high voltage ceramic discs. The thing you have built is DEADLY.

DO NOT CONTINUE UNTIL YOU LEARN SOME MORE - Please.

Also the caps will blow out, since they can not handle the peak voltages they may see...

You will NEED some very high Megohm, high voltage rated resistors. You must use them. If for some reason you do not know what you need them for, that alone is enough of a reason to stop your experiment now.

The thing you have built is hyper dangerous as it stands.

You can make it safe, but this is not a trivial thing - your life is at risk at this voltage level with the current you can discharge from that supply (or so it seems, as it looks from the images - I didn't see a schematic, if you posted it).

Please take this seriously.

Thanks.

_-_-bear


PS. it is a worthwhile thing to try... but you have to know how to not kill urself in the process!
Alright Thanks.

The values of the capacitor and diodes were calculated as follows:
Max voltage of each capacitor is 110V * 1.414 * 2 = 311V
Used 400V capacitors and 1000V diodes.

The power supply is designed to have 1% ripple and 8% regulation @ full load.
Calculated capacitance is 29.xx F (Used 33F)

I AM actually aware that I need a resistor at the outputs to limit current because of the charge in the capacitors. That will be installed before I progress any further in this project.

But besides that I don't see anything wrong with the components, mind explaining a little?
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 02:52 AM   #9
bear is offline bear
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
load?

what load??

ur supposed to be drawing microamps?

what happens when ur resistor fails or arcs or shorts?

As I said this is a dangerous project, and you've built a power supply that if discharged across you might well kill you instantly.

Others reading might wish to comment?

_-_-bear
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- every once in a while I say something that makes sense... ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 02:57 AM   #10
b1o2r3i4s5 is offline b1o2r3i4s5
diyAudio Member
 
b1o2r3i4s5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
load?

what load??

ur supposed to be drawing microamps?

what happens when ur resistor fails or arcs or shorts?

As I said this is a dangerous project, and you've built a power supply that if discharged across you might well kill you instantly.

Others reading might wish to comment?

_-_-bear
The load is the amplifier which requires microamps to work.

I see your point, I'l put this on-hold until I learn more on the topic.
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my first attempt gaffer Tubes / Valves 20 27th July 2010 05:22 PM
First attempt j beede Planars & Exotics 21 27th December 2008 04:31 AM
My first attempt mikee55 Chip Amps 4 25th March 2006 11:16 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki