Apogee Scintilla - Information about the Efficiency wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Kip, Did you get the dax to run them tri-amped? I just bought a set of Grazed Diva's last models with the strong neo magnets, they came with the passives and the Grafic interface dax, I may run them tubes and H2O on the bottom, contact GD, he may have good info for you.

Well, the back plate is a dead give away.
Then there is the back of the speaker where there are wooden cross support behind the bass on the clone. The real one has none.
The clone also have round metal cross bar support for the ribbon cage. The real Scintilla has rectangular.

Then, from what I can see on the PDF, the ribbon tweeter looks like it has been corrugated with the same format as the bass ribbons.
https://plus.google.com/photos/115553154151824436446/albums/6116331803033109681

I just made these screen dumps for You.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There are no real MK IV, those are german fakes, 3 pairs made, company down. No service and original parts available for them.

@dacen

Forget it abouth neos in the Diva. No idea what there is inside them , but neos would cost apx 10'000 $ for magnets from the manufacturer and need different frame and so on.

There are no real MK IV, those are german fakes, 3 pairs made, company down. No service and original parts available for them.

@dacen

Forget it abouth neos in the Diva. No idea what there is inside them , but neos would cost apx 10'000 $ for magnets from the manufacturer and need different frame and so on.

Ok. Could this just be a newer and stronger Ceramic type ? What would a good alternative be ? Anyone ? Just curious. DeltaStar says he has bought a pair
with Neo´s in them. Never new about the fakes.

Last edited:
Normal Ceramic Magnets , thats what Apogee used originally.
In the later 80's they changed to somewhat stronger ceramics( made in brasil, i know this from the former Apogee Importer there, he told me this personally), giving maybe 1 or 2 dB more efficiency.
The construction of the Apogee Woofers you cannot only make magnets strong, the magnetic field must be were it should be and the magnet carrying perforated metalsheet must be veeeeeeeeeeeery stable and the frame to.

Of coursee you can use AlNiCos , this will give you more efficiency, but they are really pricey and for apowoofers you need a lot of them.

Neos are, what Graz uses in his Design for the Apogee Definitive, this gives real good effieciency with clearly more than 90dB with 1 Watt. I have seen that personally.

Neos are different in quality and very pricey, at least 10 x than ceramics.

If someone says, he has Divas with Neo, so he can drive them with 30 Watt to very high levels, but i IMHO i don't believe someone modded the Divas this way.

Until now i just have seen a lot of blabla concerning magnets except the new ones from Graz which are very different made, only the the trapezoidal woofer is common style from the from.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.