Stator question - mass or surface area?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading for weeks, learning and planing an ESL project. Thanks for the wonderful information folks!

In learning about electrostatics, I still have a question about some things said in this forum. Some have suggested that more mass would help a stator, not just in stability, but also in building up a charge. My words not theirs. My intuition tells me differently. Doesn't the charge depend mainly on skin effect - the surface area of a stator? Ignoring mechanical stability, I was considering a quick and dirty test setup with window screen. Wouldn't metal window screen work just as well as a 1mm perforated steel? (this is a bad example because the screen would have a very small surface area & mass - still there are reports here that it works.)

Perhaps a better way to get the question out would be consider a plastic stator, identical to a perforated metal sheet, but with a thin film of deposited copper, much like a printed circuit board.

Does mass matter, or does surface area suffice?

stator mass has no impact on the charge nor for conductivity at these voltages. Perforated plastic worked for Quad with a curve to stiffen it and a cube louvre worked for Acoustat. just my two cents worth, I have built perfed metal and wire stators (insulated and bare wire and screen. the insulated wire method is the least expensive most reliable of any I have seen. I have over many years not seen anyone prove differently. I think that a stator needs to provide resistive damping in order to properly load the diaphragm around 25 - 30% open area. you do want to keep your stator as rigid as you can for obvious reasons. good luck have fun. best regards moray james.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.