What Disco music did to my Acoustat speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funky town took my capacitor down

Hello everyone,

I have decided to replace C3 (older MagneKinetic interfaces like mine used a 50V 220mfd electrolytic) with a polyester dielectric cap because it is an established fact that Disco dancing requires polyester attire to minimize clothing-to-body chafing friction. Because of this, I want to make sure my new cap does not explode due to chafing friction between the plates when playing the Village People so it won't "burn out of control" like before.

Hopefully these new caps will be able to Disco till the sun comes up (thanks c2cthomas) unlike the old fuddy duddy non-polyester ones that ascended by fire and smoke to the great Disco in the sky. I plan to break them in with Boogie Nights Heatwave - Boogie nights 1977 - YouTube Hopefully Heatwave won't overheat them.

JAMESBOS, I hear you, but these are Acoustats and the MagneKinetic interface principle requires caps to allow the two transformers to drive a common load. I suppose a complete capacitor-less (at least as far as C1 through C3 goes) rework is always possible, but I don't think I want to go that far. I'd rather start from scratch with a complete new design, that way I can "turn the beat around" the way I like it.

tyu, I hear you too. I replaced the tired 3kv 3,330pfd diaphragm supply caps when I installed my super "macho macho" polyester caps. Now my speakers have the umph to "boogie man".

Anyway, this has all been a lot of fun and it's always good to remember how important humor is. Life is good. Enjoy.....

I think you're right, Professor Bizzt: if you want TRUE quality disco playback it's gotta be polyester caps. For best results, replace caps with polyester throughout the entire system, including preamp, phono stage, DAC, etc. Then sit back, bask in disco heaven, and enjoy the endless stream of ladies parading into your room.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:D Steve Martin is one of my comedy idols since i was a kid

Steve is also a very good banjo player and has played many times at the Grand Old Opry here in Nashville.

Brianco will get a kick out of this video for personal reasons. If you see sum dummy Irish guy wearing nothing but his skivvies and cowboy boots while doing some sort of Irish Jig Texas Two Step dance in hiz yard - well you will know the cause of it. :D:D:D

Earl Scruggs & Steve Martin - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Best - YouTube

Hello!
This is my first post here and I'm sorry to bring up an old thread, but my model 3's interface looks exactly the same as the Professors! ( No Disco involved!)
I have been lurking for months, trying to learn, but I am still a complete newb electronics wise.:scratch:
I was wondering if someone could show me the correct replacement cap for my non-medallion interfaces from the Solen site?
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog=3&s1=2&s2=&s3=&niveau1=1&niveau2=3
I have recapped a few pairs of box speakers and I'm confident I can solder the new caps in!
Thanks for any help!
Todd

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Bignuts - Those electrolytics were 220uf (methinks). You will have to get a string of caps that total 220uf, and somehow make it all fit nicely in the interface. It probably would be easier to do the Izzy Wizzy "C-Mod" (google it) witch will allow you to replace the 220uf electrolytic with a 47uf poly cap and a 10 ohm resistor across the HF tranny. Better mod that just upgrading the caps if you ask me. And remember to do both speakers (duh)

And I had a leisure suit once myself - a baby blue one and a beige one. Anyone remember the riot on "Disco Demolition" night at Comisky Park?? Those "DISCO SUCKS" shirts?

Dear god, those were my "Salad Days".

EDIT - found the C-Mod

Attachments

• MK-121C_upgrade[1].gif
    MK-121C_upgrade[1].gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
you want to PARALLEL, (not a "string") caps to equal approximately the same value as you had before +/-10%.

Use 200v caps or higher if you can.

They do not need to be Solen.
Any good quality polypropylene will be a big upgrade and quite nice, including things like "motor starting" caps (as long as they are polypropylene).

I'd keep the same value as the stock... the lower value (47ufd) is ok, but really best for the Medallion interface... the larger value will get you more midbass/lower mid, which can be better.... depends, you can always buy the caps to make larger values, and remove some caps to experiment!

you want to PARALLEL, (not a "string") caps to equal approximately the same value as you had before +/-10%.

Use 200v caps or higher if you can.

They do not need to be Solen.
Any good quality polypropylene will be a big upgrade and quite nice, including things like "motor starting" caps (as long as they are polypropylene).

I'd keep the same value as the stock... the lower value (47ufd) is ok, but really best for the Medallion interface... the larger value will get you more midbass/lower mid, which can be better.... depends, you can always buy the caps to make larger values, and remove some caps to experiment!

The "C-Mod" is equally effective for either original or Medallion transformers. Either version will benefit from the change, as well as allowing the much more practical choice (cheaper and smaller) of 47-uF vs. 220-uF. This is a recommended change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.