Transformer-less Ribbon Driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive recently got a pair of Fountek NeoCD3.5H (its a horn-loaded version), and they may/may not be a true 'ribbon'. The driver uses a polymer diaphragm with foil laminate, i think. Maybe its vacuum deposited.... I don't know.

Anyway, its low resistance, so requires a transformer to make it a manageable load for an amplifier.

But what if instead of a Aluminium ribbon, the ribbon would be conductive, but with a greater resistance?

Has this been done?

You could theoretically i suppose, find a good material, that in the correct thickness or cross-sectional area, would give a 2" ribbon a Resistance of 8 Ohms; for example.

thinner foil = higher Resistance= lesser Current flowing= lower Efficiency= need more power

thinner foil = lower thermal capacity

more power & lower power handling = ribbon fails

Aluminium has good power handling, good damping properties, low structural resonances and pretty stable when corrugated or similar

Ive recently got a pair of Fountek NeoCD3.5H (its a horn-loaded version), and they may/may not be a true 'ribbon'. The driver uses a polymer diaphragm with foil laminate, i think. Maybe its vacuum deposited.... I don't know.

Anyway, its low resistance, so requires a transformer to make it a manageable load for an amplifier.

But what if instead of a Aluminium ribbon, the ribbon would be conductive, but with a greater resistance?

Has this been done?

You could theoretically i suppose, find a good material, that in the correct thickness or cross-sectional area, would give a 2" ribbon a Resistance of 8 Ohms; for example.

I've used a 5' long x 1/4" wide ("the thickness of a butterfly wing", according to the marketing blurb) corrugated aluminium ribbon for about 20 years ... as the tweeter in my Maggies. It has a resistance of 2 ohms. Later Maggie ribbons are only 3/16" wide and have a resistance of 3 ohms.

Regards,

Andy

copper will not work, too much mass... there is an equation that puts all the pieces together. add mass and the sensitivity drops like a stone. Aluminum turns out to the best compromise so far.

Duralumin is simply an old aluminum alloy - no longer made, but a similar one exists today.

_-_-bear

You obviously have never heard any "true-ribbon" Maggies.

Hie thee to thy nearest Magnepan dealer. :)

Regards,

Andy

Dont assume , try and understand what I speak ...? :rolleyes:

copper will not work, too much mass... there is an equation that puts all the pieces together. add mass and the sensitivity drops like a stone. Aluminum turns out to the best compromise so far.

Duralumin is simply an old aluminum alloy - no longer made, but a similar one exists today.

_-_-bear
How much is too much mass ?

Mass is important for Music weight and the type of drive system is what affects efficiency, important to balance the two, an heil AMT , vs ribbon of the same size has more mass ..

yes duralumin is an alloy, i know that, and that alloys properties are the reason i mentioned it in the 1st place LOL. Since Cu is heavier than Al, but better conductivity and far better under tensile stress, a ribbon of less CSA, near equal R, AND MORE resistant to sag, is possible. Using duralumin, an ex aerotech alloy, weight would be reduced, and a useful improvement in tensile strength acheived. Long and short, i thought it was a good goal, particularly for longer ribbons with highER tensions. If i vacuum deposit, the weight isnt nearly as significant as the mylar mass anyway...

@ mark: Mg may bring a new meaning to 'flare' as well, if i hornload AND overdrive!

But seriously, Mg Al alloys are a good idea, as is the Ti ribbon. Though i think that 50um is maybe too thick, particularly if i make a laminated or composite ribbon.

I have even considered just experimenting with a single wire, in the gap, for a high flux, and hornlmading to help with sensitivity. I assume SOME effect on efficiency with respect to diaphragm area. Im not 100percent this is true. Maybe a guitar string lol, magnetic i know, my humour again.

Last edited:
Yup, that would be a nice show. But if we think out of the box a little more a laminate with mylar + carbon (maybe those fancy nanotubes are an option?) could be interesting to try, if you have the tools to cook up something like that.

Or what about those blankets used by emergency crews (gold layer + plastic layer) reinforced in some way? I think they use mylar for those + they have a metal layer..

Attachments

• emrgency blanket.jpg
    emrgency blanket.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
ok. I assumed copper voiced worse tbh, like the alloy bells are made of. But i am just riffing really.

The idea of many small gauge ally or copper wires, superglue and mylar seem a basic way to test a simple home made job.

A flat braid of small wires may be worth a try, it just occured to me.

Last edited:
Actually, my joke of a guitar string as the diaphragm, may be a fun experiment. Perhaps a field coil drive, with magnetic ribbon...
OR, maybe just a DC fed, or DC biased drive to the ribbon, with field coil rather than neo...
Other than that, PVDF film is the only other idea i have, and thats hideously expensive too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.