Magneplanar MG1 - opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a chance to pick up a pair of Magneplanar MG-1. Seller wants $250. The owner says they've been in the original box for the last 20 years. Is $250 completely unreasonable, if the speakers are clean and working properly? (I'm in the NYC area, where everybody seems to know what everything is worth. Difficult to find a bargain here...)

I've read about the usual failure modes of these speakers, with wires that come unglued from the low-mid frequency panel, and thin wires that detach from the high frequency panel.

If my current weenie PP triode amp lacks the oomph to drive them, I'd build a new one with more power (maybe a 30wpc PP class A pentode or UL thingie... That's the DIY part for me).

I'm most interested in what anybody has to say about their sound quality as compared to something like Snell Type J/III or Tannoy System 10 (both of which I have experience with). I remember hearing these speakers back in the 1970s, and I thought they were pretty astounding. But that was a long time ago, and I was a teen then.

I'm not looking for loud (I live in an apartment with neighbors close by). I'm looking for midrange realism, non-fatiguing high freqs, reasonable bass down to about 60 Hz (-3dB).

MG1 are over 30years old...........
I have done Magnepan rewire...I never pay more than $10. for the MG1..Working or NOT...If you send them to Magnepan to do a re-wire...it about $6-$700.With shiping...So you have what $1k......not.....You can get a NEW pr of the MMG for 60days inhome $600.Some say the MMGs are better than the biger maggys...
An as to how thay sound you best go hear a pr at a shop...goodluck.

buy them try them you can always sell them, offer less if you think the price is too high what do you have to loose? Remember these are dipole and you did say you are in an apt so you will need to have space behind them. If you like them you may want to consider fresh caps for them as they are getting long in the tooth by now. Good luck. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the info. It turns out that there is another pair of MG-1 in the same town where I live, which the seller describes as mint, in the original box, not a scratch, etc. He can demo them with an older Marantz receiver. He also wants $250, down from his original $300. I guess that's still on the high side. He does say they're mint, though, and that they sound great.

Anyway, I'll find out tomorrow when I go see/hear them.

--

30W is a bit marginal- I ran mine from 60W monoblocks and that was almost adequate. 100W is not too much.

You had some good advice- the price is a bit high. These went for $500 new and don't have collector value. A truly mint pair might be worth $200.

You'll almost certainly want to replace the tweeter caps, which have probably drifted off spec in 30 years; use the same kind of bipolar electrolytic, don't be tempted to change to polypropylene! If you can run a frequency sweep and an impedance curve, you can verify that there's no delamination or broken/burned voice coils. Listen for rattling, and look for the HF impedance to not be infinite. Impedance curves between channels should track pretty closely (within 10%).

MG-1s have no highs from a standing position. They are insanely room position dependent. They are not efficient. But set up properly, the sound is quite seductive and satisfying. I used a pair for almost 10 years and still miss them from time to time.

It only money....your money....
There is some guy near me who wonts $400 for a pr of MG1.6qr,s....an then there a pr of MG2s on CL for $500.... Nuts... being in the box means nothing.... it not a good thing...well mabe looks...but it the wire inside the rotes...The tweeter wire well trun to dust...
The resion i pay so littel is the when you go to fix the tweeter or base wire the mylar can rip...then thay go in the trash can....Goodluck

Thanks again, everyone.

You're beginning to scare me off from this -- Or is it that you're finally making me see reason? The last thing I need is yet another Grand Audio Restoration Project. I already have a Thorens TD124 that needs a complete rebuild, and two pairs of Alpair drivers that I really should put into cabs. I also need to build a better amp around my lovely Tango XE-45-5 OPTs. Maybe I should forget this Maggie business and concentrate on what I have.

I do know that a 60 to 100 watt per channel tube amp will be insanely expensive to build. Just the cost of transformers and chassis will hurt.

My speakers right now are a nice pair of Snell Type J/III, and a pair of slowly decaying Tannoy T185 Dorset. Both are 8 ohms (nominal), both are 91dB/1w/1m sensitivity. They go loud enough in my small living room, even driven by my 6wpc or 11wpc tube amps. I have a pair of Alpair 7.3 and Alpair 10.2 waiting in the wings...

So, let me ask for your collective opinions on this question:

- Would I be better off getting on with the Alpair builds, or playing with these MG-1's?

Last edited:
Look i Have Magnepans ...An tube amps to drive them...but for the money you can do better than the MG1s....I have ML ESLs....an B&W piston type..An even have a pr of the frist Big Snell A....With crossovers hand mad by Mr Snell...Killer sound for the time.....R.i.p.. Mr Snell.... I Always say... out of the box with NO Mods..{working} Magnepans can give 80% of the best sound i have ever got...Out of any panel...Magnepans Are A lot of fun.....
This is just my 5cent...
My bud Moray know what going on....goodluck

Well, I guess I should go give the MG-1's a listen. If I fall in love with them, then that'll be that. I won't stress too hard if they don't float my boat.

I don't know for sure if my audio generator is working (it's an old tube HP). I'll have to check when I get home. Maybe I can make a CD of an audio frequency sweep. Hello Google...

Over this past year or so, I went a little crazy experimenting with mid-line Klipsch speakers, based on lots of ecstatic comments out on the innerweb. I took a pair of KG 4.5, added the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, upgraded the crossover, lined the cabs with felt... Got a nice improvement, but still not a *great* speaker. Too many response anomalies, not as easy to drive as I had thought. I need to get rid of them. Also got a pair of RF-3, but they are too harsh in the highs for me. I need to get rid of those too.

I bought a pair of decent condition Snell Type J/III and was bowled over. Those Snells are great. My little tube amps drive them just fine.

Any experience with the Alpair drivers?

--

Alpair drivers?

No....
Moray Got in to the Newer Klipsch...RF3...an2s i think.....i sold Klipsch in the 80s.....forte were my fav..Best base for the $$...
I here you on the topend...i used old 2watt carbons..in the crossover it help a lot...
i like ESL...My Acoustat sound great..an the ML give massive output for ESLs..for rocking...have fun ...you wont No ..if you dont go...
When you go to hear the maggys ...put your ear on the back... an move your head a cross the panels an you can here were the tweeter an base wire starts... there should a diff....the glue thay used 30 years a go truns to a glass like brown bark... .goodluck

Got a chance to see and hear the MG1's. They have black cloth. They look like the older ones.

I didn't get a very fair demo of them, because they were fed by a 1970s Marantz receiver that apparently has about 25 watts per channel available. The source was a portable DVD player playing CDs.

The speakers were crowded into a little room, only about 3 feet apart from each other. The back wall was irregular (shelves, boxes and lots of stuff there), only about 2 feet in back of the speakers. I stood about 4 feet in front of them.

The speakers did not seem to be making hardly any treble. It was there, but they were seriously "dark" sounding. They sounded best when I knelt down and listened to them with my head at about the center of the panels (ears at typical seated height). That was better, but the treble was still lacking. The balance got more like I'm used to once I turned the treble control on the receiver almost all the way up. That can't be right...

I put my ear to the speakers, right up close to the back of the panels, listened to them close from top to bottom and side to side. I heard the highs seem to come from about the center of the panels. Is that the way they should be? I didn't hear any "dead spots." Sound came from the entire panel surface, at least as far as I could tell. However, I didn't hear any spot that sounded like I was listening to an actual tweeter.

Does the above give you enough info to help me figure out if the speakers are functional?

I played some mild-mannered electric music, some singer-songwriter music (female voice), some small group acoustic jazz, and some symphonic music.

Those things, if you put your head in exactly the right spot, make the speakers disappear better than almost anything else I've ever heard. I understand why some people rave about these things. But the symphonic music sounded muffled and muddled. I can hear the potential in these speakers, but I have no idea if the little receiver was the limiting factor, or if I was hearing something wrong with the speakers.

So I got cold feet and didn't buy them. I can get them for a lot less than the $200 asking price, but do you think these might have bad tweeters?

--

The likelihood of the tweeters being functional is really slim. Unless they have been rebuilt, they simply dont last this long. The tweeters are comprised of small gauge aluminum wire which oxidizes and becomes brittle over the years and breaks. Ive rebuilt several pairs of MGI/IIs and its really a labor of love and not really very economical. The mylar is getting old too so they do have a limited lifespan. The last pair that were given to me I gave away to someone far more skilled at repairs than I.

Steve Read's Rewired MG1's

You will get more enjoyment and save the hassle of repairs by picking up a pair of new or used MMGs.

amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.