Goodbye ! No more speakers with cones !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
June 2011 was the last post ( in that old thread ).
That is almost a year ago. Anything happened after that ? "Someone' must have heard a demo !
I'm pretty slow at grasping new ideas ( thick headed !) . I still haven't figured out how it actually works ! Can anyone give a clearer picture. It looks like a long triangular hollow object that rotates on it's axis...... in both directions ?
That's like a horizontally operating LS motor pulling a vertex too and fro. That should make some sound but I can't even imagine how it would sound.
Would each edge be a slim long dipole ?

Is John located in Des Moines ?

The way it makes it's sound (if much at all?)has nothing to do with the rotation of the diaphragm.........that is a product of the motor which works exactly like a hard drive from a P.C.:warped:

The sound that eminates from the triangle tube is simply distrubed modes such as the NXT principle.

A lot of hype about nothing. There have been no professional reviews and the testimonials are the exact same one's that were there on his first website years ago.:mad:

The way it makes it's sound (if much at all?)has nothing to do with the rotation of the diaphragm.........that is a product of the motor which works exactly like a hard drive from a P.C.:warped:

The sound that eminates from the triangle tube is simply distrubed modes such as the NXT principle.

A lot of hype about nothing. There have been no professional reviews and the testimonials are the exact same one's that were there on his first website years ago.:mad:

I stand corrected..

Planot Response to forum inquiries.

I am the inventor of the Planot loudspeaker.

The Planot driver does NOT work by the principals of distributed mode. It works like most other drivers do by simply converting the electrical signal into pressure waves.

I have been working "full time" on my invention for about a year.

It takes a lot of time to do the work. It also takes a lot of money! While I now have a lot of time I have limited money.

I have plans to do a Kickstarter project in the future to raise funds.

I have been close to signing several agreements.

I have been contacted by Sony corporation.

I have been contacted by Philips Corporation's audio division. After lengthy and expensive negotiations I signed their non-disclosure agreement (which has expired July 12, 2012). They said they wanted to build prototypes. I had been corresponding with them for about six months when they decided my contract, just for building prototypes, was too restrictive. I had previously told their lawyers that I wanted them to write their own contract but they declined and I have not had any correspondences from then since.

I have redesigned the motor. A major issue has been securing some components. This alone has set back my timeline significantly. Each time I change my design it is a lengthy process to redo my blueprints.

A machinist has been building the parts for the new motor for the last month and I should have them soon. Then I have to perfect the rotor assembly process.

I am going to be selling plans for for making Planot loudspeakers to the "do it yourself" audio community. I have already had a good response from individuals as well as companies wanting to sell kits.

I now have two Planot Partners. One manufactures the magnets for the motor and another manufactures the voice coils. Anyone can purchase these components from my partners (see my Web site for more information on Planot Partners).

A person can buy a limited license to build a limited number for personal use, not for resale, and receive complete blueprints and instructions. (Manufacturing licenses are available for companies.) They can purchase magnets and voice coils from Planot Partners ( I am looking for more partners).

I have had two articles about the Planot loudspeaker published in Voice Coil magazine. One was a front page article. I have contacted many audio publications and have received no response back.

Some people understand the principals behind its function immediately, like Dr. Julian Bunn of Caltech who has built a working prototype (his video is on YouTube).

Any more questions?

John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the update, John. I wish you well with your efforts, it's certainly a novel idea! And thanks for releasing this to the DIY community, it looks like a fun thing to build.

Be sure to get in contact with Jan about an article in his magazine. Would love to see that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.