Goodbye ! No more speakers with cones !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
John
How do you keep it from canceling frequencies longer than its width? Even If it does turn out to be a viable design (Independently tested by a reputable source), I couldn't imagine it being used for anything other than a high frequency transducer. And if that's the case, you've got some STIFF competition, my friend..
Seth

Destructive phase interference...

John
How do you keep it from canceling frequencies longer than its width? Even If it does turn out to be a viable design (Independently tested by a reputable source), I couldn't imagine it being used for anything other than a high frequency transducer. And if that's the case, you've got some STIFF competition, my friend..
Seth

I don't have to do anything as it is accomplished by the geometry of the diaphragm.

John

Here is the patent, as found in google patents..
Patent US7860265 - Diaphragm for full range boxless rotary loudspeaker driver - Google Patents
Now we can all make our own! YEEHAHAYEEHA! Kidding!

"The diaphragm that has at least three sides and when rotated along its central axis creates a positive pressure in the surrounding medium on all sides parallel to the axis of rotation and is not subject to phase cancellation of front and back waves". True, but there ARE cancellations of the "this side, and that side" waves, since there is no true "rear". Correct? It is also stated that there is no box. The transducer "diaphragm" is, in itself, a box. Is it not?

Last edited:
I just loaded my clothes washer and looked at the central agitator . What it does to water is a rough, but pretty good analogy I think. Replace it with a triangle column and see what it does!
I'm not sure, but I think that the response you will get will exhibit extremely tight comb filtering(unnoticeable?) and as a result, low efficiency due to 120 degree tangential cancellations on all three edges..

Last edited:
Here is the patent, as found in google patents..
Patent US7860265 - Diaphragm for full range boxless rotary loudspeaker driver - Google Patents
Now we can all make our own! YEEHAHAYEEHA! Kidding!

Yes, you can if you like. I suspect that an attorney's help might have resulted in a better claim (the one granted seem to have a major problem), and I'm astonished that the examiner didn't point out a major flaw in the claim which appears to me to essentially render the patent worthless. Nonetheless, even with presumed validity, under patent law you are free to build and experiment to satisfy your curiosity and to see what performance you can get out of the concept. I would encourage people who know how to use measurement tools to do so and post their results- Julian's were almost exactly what I would have expected.

Patents

A patent does restrict the building of patented devices even if they are not made for sale but are just for personal use. You can contact me about receiving a license for building devices for personal use.

As for the validity of my patent. First, the US Patent office thinks it is OK.

James Croft, who reviews AUDIO patents for Voice Coil Magazine, had nothing negative to say about my patent when he reviewed it for Voice Coil Magazine, he usually tears patents apart without mercy. My lawyer, who is an IP lawyer said it was a well written patent. I have in the past corresponded with one of the leading patent litigation lawyers in the US and he said it was a well written patent.

This is all I will say about my patent here. If you have more questions about the Planot driver then I would direct you to my Web site for further information.

You can send questions to... info@planotspeaker.com

Go to... http://www.planotspeaker.com/

Last edited:
"If you plot the cross section of a three side, or higher order (even numer of sides), cross section as it rotates about its center on top of a piece of a graph paper it is immediately apparent that as the sides rotate about its center every point on the surface moves forward and thus contributes to a positive air pressure"...

Poor patent examiners seem a bit overloaded :eek:

"Valid" =/= "enforceable." Nor does "granted patent" = "device that works as claimed." I would love to meet an actual IP lawyer who thinks that a single claim with that language is well-drafted.

And although you'd like to think that people cannot build your device for curiosity and experimentation without a license, that is simply incorrect.

"Valid" =/= "enforceable."
And although you'd like to think that people cannot build your device for curiosity and experimentation without a license, that is simply incorrect.

Yeap...

As I have heard more than once from our patent attorney: "A patent is nothing more than a license to hunt." :rolleyes:

Recent changes in patent law (which may not apply to you) also are not very encouraging to inventors. :(

I am not trying to discourage anyone, just to sharing personal experiences.

License

John, can you give the forum members here an idea how much your ''license''costs, and also what it would cost to build a working speaker?

I don't think that this is an unfair request, just a ball park figure would suffice.

Cheers,
Rob.

This is the current brake down.
Must sign experimental licensing agreement,
$500 for an individual - not for resale,
$5000 for company - not for resale,
This licludes my blueprints and construction notes and parts list; most all parts and raw materials can be purchased from one vendor.

Raw materials and nuts and bolts about $600 to $800 for two; magnets and voice coils extra--see my Web site for Planot Partners for price and availability of magnets and voice coils.

A machinist should charge from $500 to $700 for machining two motors; some assembly required. It would be a good chance for someone to make motors. Of course DIY'rs are always fiddling with designs. You could use my blueprints and ideas for motors as a starting point. My patent covers the diaphragm design not the rest. Every Planot diaphragm needs a motor and a license.

I hope in the future that a manufacturer will be building kits but as of today I have nothing in works.

I have a licensee I am working with but the rest is confidential for now.

John

Every once in a while, someone 'invents' something that literally becomes their baby. They keep working on it, and working on it, and working on it, but ultimately, they end up being way too protective to ever let it be objectively and thoroughly tested by an outside source. I will be surprised if 'Voice coil' ever does get a sample to test.. Intriguing or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.