Planar magnetic/ESL/ribbon thermal compression

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I assumed that for listening in a home environment, even at high levels (avg. 90 db) that thermal compression would be a complete nonissue for any of the panel speaker technologies. I was a bit surprised when I came across Linkwitz's tests of a BG Radia Neo3 vs. a Seas 1" dome: Spatial distortion
which according to Linkwitz shows some thermal compression effects for the NEO3 that are not apparent for the 1" dome. Granted, I've seen criticism that no one in there right mind would use a NEO3 the way he tested it, but regardless I would have expected the NEO3 to have less thermal compression at high levels than a 1" dome. I'm wondering in a larger well constructed Magnepan style speaker or alternatively a hybrid ESL, can thermal effects be ignored even at 90+db listening levels? I realize this will depend on a lot of factors but primarily I'm interested in ~100 Hz on up with panels size allowed to be similar or slightly larger than used in Magnepan's models. Part of my motivation is looking at mixing and matching the different technologies in a single speaker, for example magnetic planar bass panel with ESL midrange and either ribbon or narrow ESL tweeter segment.

I should probably also specify that I'm looking for good output above 100 Hz because I use an array of 3 subs spaced around the room a la Geddes for the sub 100 Hz region.
Dan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.