Experience Stacking ML CLS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all, my apologies for the annoying rant below, but feel my "progression" explanation is worthwhile...Its not hard to understand why my wife thinks this is a bit of an obsession for me...

Started out with my Tympani IVa (loved them), and went to the CLS (original) with Tympani ID bass panels (ID bass panels rewired), but the ID didn't have that beautiful Kick the IVa's had....played with ISO-ing the pair of ID panels and just didn't work either. I think I weighed down the mylar on the ID rebuild too much, as it was slapping the magnets on high volume...

Anyway, during all that, I purchased / played around with another pair of CLS panels (CLSIIa) and liked it too. Compared the the orig CLS panel, little difference in sound with the same DIY Interface you all helped me build (with two Antek toroids/interface)

Then I found a pair of Acoustat Model 3 locally. Did the C-Mod and put in the Neon lamp/charge indicator, and additional .01uf 6500V across the Bias rectifiers, and dropped the 500Mohm to 20Mohm and sounds great. The bass, for an ESL, is very nice. Surprised the heck out of me. Quite happy with the results. Just the high end not quite as nice as the CLS. Overall, Bass of the IVa and the high end of the CLS was "it", and is hard to beat.

I tried the CLS on the Acoustat (non Medallion) interface and it sounded good, although bass was still a bit lacking, and nothing like the bass on the Acoustat Model 3 (or Tymp IVa), but I guess that's understandable....

Anyway, got to thinking about stacking the two pairs of CLS panels, and hence my next project - stack a pair of the CLS panels (orig and CLSIIa), run at 200hz and above (can't see how these were ever able to reportedly run full range), and make new bass panels out of re-mylared / rewired IIID panels....or possibly cones (or purchase separate subwoofers).

Now, I know the bias circuit can handle the two stacked CLS, but can one interface handle two panels, or would I require an interface per each panel?

Aside from overall output increase (6db?), and raising the vertical sweet spot, are there any other benefit of stacking?

It would definitely look cool!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.