The ultimate 2.1 system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dear diyAudio fans,

I am just starting to realize a long lasted dream to build my own loudspeakers. My requirements are:
- natural life like sound at all frequencies
- dsp controlled for room adjustments
- each driver with its own amplifier
- small dimensions and living room compatible look

So my search in the internet over months led my to the following conclusion:
- 2.1 system is the only way to keep dimensions small
- while still be able to have a solid low frequency fundament
- active system with intergrated dsp is the best solution

and the following order of drivers and amplifiers:
Satellites
-Tweeter BG Neo3 PDR
-Woofer Seas W15cy001
-amplifier Hypex AS2.100D
Subwoofer
-subwoofer Seas L26Roy (2x)
-amplifier Hypex PSC2.400

The idea is to cast the satellites case in conrete while the front panel is machined in an 2 cm thick aluminium plate. The backwall will be mainly the panel of the hypex plate amplifier.

The subwoofers material and look is not yet decided, but according to other forum i would like to try a so called Ripol configuration in order to keep the dimensions as small as possible. This kind of subwoofer will also allow to go very deep in base but with bad efficiency. That is also the reason for the strong amplifier.

I will upload some designs/drawings tomorrow and hope for some feedback if i am going into a wrong direction. (speakers and amplifiers already arrived.. So there is no big change affordable).

Satellite design:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Subwoofer design:

Have a nice day,

Last edited:
Hi,

A ripole doesn't just have bad efficiency, it has very bad max SPL compared
to a sealed or vented box. You can make small twin sealed sealed sub boxes
and LT them to any desired response. Understand that bipole "baffle loss"
is not just a response roll-off like from a box, it chucks away excursion.

rgds, sreten.

Thanks Sreten,
I will reconsider the subwoofer idea and hope with closed box theres is not too much base in the house. There was written that Ripol system would not produce any standing waves in the room since they are eliminated by the phase shifted signal on the other side of the box.
For a closed system calculations showed me for L26Roy something between 27-40 liter should be fine.

That sounds like your typical multi-way.
If you want natural sounding you should consisder an ESL or a dipole type system or even DIY ribbons.
You can do those type's of systems sometimes very cheaply and on a budget and get much more sound quality than you would with the typical multi-way setup.

It is just a thought being that this is the Planar and Exotic forum. :)

:cheers:
jer :)

That sounds like your typical multi-way.
If you want natural sounding you should consisder an ESL or a dipole type system or even DIY ribbons.
You can do those type's of systems sometimes very cheaply and on a budget and get much more sound quality than you would with the typical multi-way setup.

It is just a thought being that this is the Planar and Exotic forum. :)

:cheers:
jer :)

I agree... the sound from a line source ESL is downright spooky.

Thanks for the hint that one can produce ESL DIY. You might be right but i have limited time available and have to reduce DIY work accordingly.
BTW I would like to use the ribbon as tweeter and first thought to use a dipole as subwoofer... thought it would be exotic enough :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.