Omni Ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
URL]

Here i have added a difusor and small baffels. Crossover changed to 1500 HZ. 48 db.
Sound is nice,have to make the other side alike this one.

Bernt "Båndsei"

Is this approach inherently small and quiet? I've been searching for an approach for omnidirectional speaker cabinets for live performance... The bass of course is omnidirectional already, the question is how to get the high mids and highs distributed omnidirectionally too... Fascinating stuff to me, despite my ignorance.

Poor choice of words. "Quiet" would mean low noise background. What I meant was low decibel output.

I spent some time on some other omni threads here and am fascinated by the reflector for the speaker that points straight up. I tried doing something like that for a guitar speaker and gave up on it in favor of an animated approach... I may have to take that tack up again and see what the right shape really ought to be.

This is so funny :), i can always recognise ur ribbon speakers by the corrugation :)

Also funny is that i kind of made the same thing with an esl. but damping the inside was kind of hard. higher frequency worked caus it would not exit the other side, the lower you go the more difficult it gets.

thank you for replies and kind words.As i have listened more to my speaker system I have discovered its not as linear as expected.I have to EQ -5 db at 9000hz And it acts a bit like a linesource .I am buying messure tool for a REW calibration.I am crossing at 1200hz.
Bernt

I think that much better omni ribbon tweeter is like o.e. Elac ELAC – Klang lebt – FS 609 CE:. I dont know how they solved that ribbon to not touch near parts like magnets in order to avoid rough distortions, but I think it is soldable. But, only I can not see what is purpose of such omni tweeter like your also, if have radiation of sound backward. There will be just reflection from walls, so these can not be real HI-FI speakers in regard that high frequencies should be sourced from one point.

Actually not everybody feels that way. I'm for anything that enhances the illusion of "being there". I'm even more for actually being there! With instruments higher fidelity than any reproduction, radiating high and all frequencies every which way.

What Hi-FI rules do about propagation of sound, is exactly enchancing of about you speak. If any device in audio line (re)produce something that is more or less from original captured, recorded sound image, it is in same extent less HI-FI. If one speaker can radiate (but) from one point left and right next to straight with same frequency characteristic, even something up and down it is ok, but backward - it is just wrong because there will be additional reflections from walls specialy about high frequencies which care sound definition.

I found some interesting "Gallo" speakers looks like with omni tweeter, but there are not bacward reflections. On contrary I found even some people like dipol ribbon tweeters, but that is just not for discussion about HI-FI in regard what I said ... maybe like some exotic speakers, but ... :)

Last edited:
I love the sound of dipoles,and the omni as well.
The alufoil is 7my 7/1000 mm. The paper is a bit more. I could remove the paper,but keept it for dampning of resonanses.
I dont know the weight
Here is a better picture:
URL]

At the top and bottom ther is 10mm alu bended and on the back of it some selfadhedsive rubber/foam.
if you want more info,just ask.

Bernt

Omnidirectional speaker concept in general looking like ideal - I am agree very, but backward radiation is overage. Specially about dipoles, they even have not so good radiation left-right like the best I think - omnidirectional ribbon ...

But in such regard, really the best should be newer technology - bending wave speakers where often is no need to do anything for phase coupling between mid and high drivers because all these frequencies go from one point - one driver. It is step forward.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.