JansZen Z-210a - which currently available replacement ESL Unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• JansZen Z-210a driver.jpg
    JansZen Z-210a driver.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 331
  • JansZen Z-210a crossover I.jpg
    JansZen Z-210a crossover I.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 268
  • JansZen Z-210a electrostatic I.jpg
    JansZen Z-210a electrostatic I.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 265
  • JansZen Z-210a electrostatic tweeter I.jpg
    JansZen Z-210a electrostatic tweeter I.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 254
  • JansZen Z-210a electrostatic tweeter.jpg
    JansZen Z-210a electrostatic tweeter.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 254
  • JansZen Z-210a front.jpg
    JansZen Z-210a front.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 94
Those panels come up on eBay once in a while. No current manufacturers of replacements, that I know of. All the Janszen tweeters are the same size, and interchangeable. Though the ones you have are later models, and the earlier are said to be better made.

Good luck, they are simple speakers and sound great in my opinion.

I have 8ea of the Same as in the pic....An i have the ones in the 130 jansZen esl there black 4ea...i have not seen any new!.... I have one of the input like in the pic...if you need just pm me...thanks
I have numerous JansZen tweeters and speakers, and could use those 130 panels, if he doesn't want them. I'm not positive, but I'm not sure they would work in that speaker…

Z-410

I repaired the panels on my Z-410's (mostly just cleaning the contacts). One set works fine but I think there is a problem with a power supply diode on the other set. I cannot locate a replacement. The diode is stamped RCA C3 64008. I know the other diodes drop 0.513 volts but this one drops 0.082 volts. Does anyone have a replacement power supply or know what the 1Nxxxx equivalent is for this diode?

The 1N4007 is rated at 1000v and will probably work for fine depending on what the supply input voltage is.
If you need a higher voltage rating you can just simply add them in series.

Can you post a schematic of the supply?

If the audio signal is used to provide the bias then you might want to use a faster type such as the UF4007.

jer :)

I wish I had the schematic, It would make life simpler. I was thinking of trying a 1N4007, the worst that can happen is that it will break down. I measured the DC supply on the other set but my meter drops out at 600VDC and I don't have any high value resistors to make a divider. Maybe thats the next step. I see some posts where people have parts but they are old posts so I don't know if anything is available any longer. It would be nice to get these speakers up and running as the one that works sounds pretty good.

These are the ESLs that first captivated the interest of innumerable HiFi fans towards ESL speakers. Janzen (or some spelling like that) was a grad student at MIT of Hunt who wrote "the book" on ESL theory... long ago. Even handling just the range from 1kHz up, they were a revelation when heard for the first time or in relation to AR-3 speakers of the time. (Hope somebody will correct my errors).

Ben

Thanks for the link to the post. It seemed the longer I played them the louder and cleaner they got. The wrinkles in the foil are almost gone now and both speakers are preforming equally. The mid range and highs are very open but the bass could be a little tighter, they are not quite as good sounding as my Totem Model 1's but a close second place when running on a Bryston 2B - LP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.