Ground reference for ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the schematics of most manufacturer's ESLs, you will see that the secondary side of the step-up transformer is referenced to safety ground (figure A in attachment) or the primary of the step-up transformer (figure B in attachment).

But, most DIY ESLs are built with the secondary side of the transformer floating free (figure C in attachment).

So, does anybody have a good explanation why most manufactured ESLs have the secondary referenced to safety ground or the primary? It had been suggested to me that perhaps with the secondary side floating, it could build up considerable static potential relative to the primary and the rest of your electronics. Most likely, it is to cover some sort of safety concern like this, I'm just not certain of what. Thoughts?

There needs to be NEW look at this but i gess most just see it like the bias....if it works an it NOT in the audio path .... I think it all is?
I have found just having a better bias tranfourmer with more VAmps or a diff V...like 1000 v then setping up to say 5k... Can sound better than 250v tranfourmer!
The THD can be so low on ESL next to any other panel or piston type...thay just take a pass

Thanks for this post

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.