Ground reference for ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...maybe the configurations depend on the bodies doing the regulating and their incomplete grasp of the safety situation for ESL gear submitted to them.

This is certainly possible...especially considering the ground method Tyu mentioned in another thread that ML had to use for ESL sale in the UK where the front stator is grounded.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ting-better-output-esl-panel.html#post2857494

This reminded me that I "discovered" it was possible to make a double diaphragm/triple stator ESL panel(like the ML CLX woofer) that has both front and rear stators at safety ground potential. No chance of electrical shock at all from the HV bias supply or the stepped up audio voltages. This is shown in Figure G.
For reference, Figure A is the standard single diaphragm arrangement, and F the standard double diaphragm arrangement.

I thought I had stumbled on to something new, but a bit of googling found:
Patent US8175294 - Electrostatic loudspeaker with single ended drive - Google Patents
See Figure 4b.

Attachments

• ESL_Safety_Ground.gif
    ESL_Safety_Ground.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 125
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.