Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a neo8-S here now. This is the neo8 version that shares newer features with the neo10 design. It's mounted in a PE test box loaded with Bonded Logic. I should have measurements and impressions soon.

Dennis Murphy already tried them and got quite a dip around 1.5KHz. It was narrow, but being there at all makes me nervous. We will see if I get the same result.

Greg

Did Dennis test them in a sealed box? I have a theory about planar magnetic drive units and sealed boxes. Since there is no large round magnet assembly to break up standing waves, These resonances are allowed to fully develop without any hindrance. They can reflect back into the driver's delicate membrane delayed in time causing large, narrow band peaks and dips in the response. This should be especially noticeable with steady state pink noise type measurements. This is why packing the interior with bonded logic is so important with this type of transducer. It's interesting to note that a 1.5khz wavelength is 9". That's a pretty typical interior depth dimension...

Last edited:
Did Dennis test them in a sealed box? I have a theory about planar magnetic drive units and sealed boxes. Since there is no large round magnet assembly to break up standing waves, These resonances are allowed to fully develop without any hindrance. They can reflect back into the driver's delicate membrane delayed in time causing large, narrow band peaks and dips in the response. This should be especially noticeable with steady state pink noise type measurements. This is why packing the interior with bonded logic is so important with this type of transducer. It's interesting to note that a 1.5khz wavelength is 9". That's a pretty typical interior depth dimension...

I wondered about the same thing, BUT Dennis is using the regular noe8 with no issues...

We will find out soon enough.

Greg

It seems unlikely Erling. That's about as low as you'd want to take the Neo 10 based on what I've seen around the forums and my own experimental lash-ups. 500Hz or so for the 8S, perhaps? Depends on how loud you want it of course. The standard version seems to like 7-800Hz. I keep forgetting that I've got four of the standard Neo 8 to try!

I wondered about the same thing, BUT Dennis is using the regular noe8 with no issues...

We will find out soon enough.

Greg

Are you talking about the Philharmonic line? I'm pretty sure the Neo8 cab is open backed and stuffed.......

I keep forgetting that I've got four of the standard Neo 8 to try!

Get to it! I just got some regular Neo8's and I love them. Better than the few cone drivers I've tired . They do quite well from 900-4500......

Are you talking about the Philharmonic line? I'm pretty sure the Neo8 cab is open backed and stuffed.......

Get to it! I just got some regular Neo8's and I love them. Better than the few cone drivers I've tired . They do quite well from 900-4500......

If he tested the 8-s in the exact same open backed and stuffed philharmonic cabinet that uses for the 8, which would make sense, then it would or could point to a potential flaw in the 8-s. Hmm... Your results will be interesting, Greg.

O.K. I found the headphones I'm going to use for the Neo 3's. They are amazing can's for the money. Sturdily built, two detachable cords of different lengths(11.5ft and 4ft),and two swivel points(Three if you include the fold up feature). All this for $22.00. They supposedly sound amazing. They are the Mono Price's at the bottom of this page
InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" Full-Size Sealed | InnerFidelity
I'm taking the drivers out and replacing them with the neo 3's. I am also removing the closed back from these can's because planar magnetic headphones sound much better that way. Planar magnetic headphones are amazingly expensive( $700.00 up to $2,000). If this experiment works, they can be had for under $200.00. If they sound good enough to my ears, I'll send them to Tyll Herstens for a full battery of dummy head measurements which he then posts on his site in the DIY section..
Seth

Last edited:
O.K. I found the headphones I'm going to use for the Neo 3's. They are amazing can's for the money. Sturdily built, two detachable cords of different lengths(11.5ft and 4ft),and two swivel points(Three if you include the fold up feature). All this for $22.00. They supposedly sound amazing. They are the Mono Price's at the bottom of this page
InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" Full-Size Sealed | InnerFidelity
I'm taking the drivers out and replacing them with the neo 3's. I am also removing the closed back from these can's because planar magnetic headphones sound much better that way. Planar magnetic headphones are amazingly expensive( $700.00 up to $2,000). If this experiment works, they can be had for under $200.00. If they sound good enough to my ears, I'll send them to Tyll Herstens for a full battery of dummy head measurements which he then posts on his site in the DIY section..
Seth
I'm starting a new thread for this project for obvious reasons..

Neo8 on a waveguide

I'd like to experiment with a waveguide for the Neo8 in order to improve directivity in the highs. I've been waiting for more info on the Neo8-S before spending any money.
272349d1332010569-suitable-midrange-cone-bandpass-mid-unity-horn-neo8wg.png

"Patric Bateman", another member of diyAudio got very promising results with a cone driver.
fauxaxial unity horn.mp4 - YouTube

thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/88237-suitable-midrange-cone-bandpass-mid-unity-horn-53.html#post2947797

Hi All! I am new to the community although being an oldtimer who has built speakers for more decades than I dare to count. I am impressed with the technical level of your posts. Please allow me to contribute my five pence.

I have used stacked NEO8 (old model) mids for several years without much satisfaction. I found the sound rather coarse. Recently, however, I took four NEO8 and used them as two sandwiched pairs, one pair for each speaker. I took a quarter inch board and fixed one Neo8 from the outside and the other one on the inside of the baffle. The space between the speakers I filled with a quarter inch sheet of foam to tame undesirable reflections. The size of the sealed enclosure is about 5 litres, stuffed with acrylic fibre. The speakers are wired in parallel.

With a suitable crossover or DSP equalization, the double Neo8 offers more lower mids and seems to me less brittle and coarse than a single one. In fact, after careful fine tuning with the DEQ I felt like being fairly close to electrostat levels. Still, the speakers (combined with a woofer and a Fountek ribbon) don't show that "silky" smoothness only 'stats can offer, IMO. I have not done any distortion measurements of the Neo8 combo.

Remlab, even used at low levels as earspeakers, surely the high fs of the Neo 3s will make them unsuitable for full range use?

Toaster
The Neo 3 has no fs. For proof of this, look at the impedance trace on the Zaph website. Perfectly resistive(Flat) to the upper and lower limits of the graph. This is why planar magnetic tweeters can be used as headphone diaphrams, and conventional tweeters obviously cannot.
Seth

Hi All! I am new to the community although being an oldtimer who has built speakers for more decades than I dare to count. I am impressed with the technical level of your posts. Please allow me to contribute my five pence.

I have used stacked NEO8 (old model) mids for several years without much satisfaction. I found the sound rather coarse. Recently, however, I took four NEO8 and used them as two sandwiched pairs, one pair for each speaker. I took a quarter inch board and fixed one Neo8 from the outside and the other one on the inside of the baffle. The space between the speakers I filled with a quarter inch sheet of foam to tame undesirable reflections. The size of the sealed enclosure is about 5 litres, stuffed with acrylic fibre. The speakers are wired in parallel.

With a suitable crossover or DSP equalization, the double Neo8 offers more lower mids and seems to me less brittle and coarse than a single one. In fact, after careful fine tuning with the DEQ I felt like being fairly close to electrostat levels. Still, the speakers (combined with a woofer and a Fountek ribbon) don't show that "silky" smoothness only 'stats can offer, IMO. I have not done any distortion measurements of the Neo8 combo.

If you want to create a more fair ESL, Neo 8comparison, try eliminating the fountek ribbon from the equation and dsp the Neo 8 by itself. The problem with the Neo 8 though, is that even used in this way, still can't go low enough to get the crossover point completely out of the critical midrange. This is why I went with the NEO 10 instead of the the 8.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.