DIY headphones from Scratch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all yes, I am new to the forum. So Hi everyone :D

I listen to music in two distinctive ways. My first and preferred method is using closed and noise isolating headphones, and second is through a pair of speakers my mum built that sit in my room.

The latest pair of headphones I have aren't what you'd call the latest. That is, I've had them for more than five years and they are really starting to show signs of my high intensity use.

So I got to thinking about making up my own pair of 'Kristyn-proof', or 'Bomb-proof' Industrial clunkers, like using Kevlar sleeving on the cable due to problems with cable damage in the past.

I hope to use the drivers from a pair of closed cans such as the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Shure SRH940:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LAQBPAziL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/IMG
[IMGDEAD]http://www.e-gear.com/common/img/photos/biz/eg/2011/03/Shure_SRH940.jpg[/IMGDEAD]

And no, [B]portability isn't a problem[/B] - these plan to be headphones pumped through an amp only, not an mp3 player (I have little ear-buds for that).
My main reasoning for wanting to do this? It'll be a fun and learning experience. If not frustrating.

I haven't found much in the way of serious headphone modifications, well any that don't seep into the realm of the pretentious-audiophile such as making the casing mahogany and studded with rubies :rolleyes:

Anyone tried a serious DIY headphone project? Ever attempted a Franken-headphone, that is a mixing of all the best bits of several models?

More importantly, where can I find a pair of drivers?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my intolerable noob-ness.

Hi - Thanks for the link. I've already looked into electrostatics. They are pretty amazing looking headphones from what I've read... except the high voltage would fry my cat if he decides to get hungry again and gnaw on the cable. Looks like some kevlar sleeving is the go hahaha.

I'll post up my progress.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.