High efficiency Omnipolar/Radial DIY speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any high efficiency Omnipolar/Radial DIY speakers? The only speakers that exist like this are Decware ERR but they don't offer DIY plans for it. Does anyone know of anything like this?

I've listened to a number of omni designs, and found the Duevel and B&O designs to be the best. I've posted threads on how to build the Sausalito Audio Works waveguide used in the B&O, and the Duevel horn is even simpler.

duevel-bella-luna-speakers-diagram.jpg

Omni speakers have a well deserved reputation for requiring a lot of power. This is because narrow directivity speakers are more efficient on axis. (The same idea as using a lens for light - the narrow pattern focuses the energy in one direction.) The SAW waveguide offers an interesting compromise, as it has narrow vertical directivity and broad horizontal directivity.

Hope this project goes well for you - it's an interesting design. Would love to see more people try it.

Hi,

I've done some research and still havent found an actual diy kit or design specs to build any omnipolar/radial designs. just pictures and explanations that you built it.

There are some kits in Germany. Including this:

Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

Generally i would suggest that "Omni's do not work", at least not in the sense of offering a window into the original recording, in normal rooms (I find Dipoles and Cardiod Speakers do this quite well).

They are rather an acquired taste of a few. Try listening to some Omni's before you spend time and money.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.