Vertical dispersion in ESL panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why ask Why...
Right, looks like Roger Sanders Is the only one thats looking at this with his panels...All other wont to use the vertical dispersion, coming off to tune the panels ...any panel can give much better sound if nothing is at the top..
Even the Acoustat,that is not thin..sounds better with the panels top open.
Now as for the horizontal dispersion, it seems to work well with 2-4"of supoart,but not the top,if we put the panel in a box ,without a back.We lose a lot of sound an output,2db, the mid move out...but it dose not sound real..Mr Sanders Knows this,an this i think is what makes his speakers sound so diff from others.. i no he has a flat panel,an others dont.
The only resion for any vertical block, is to sale a diff speaker with less block..Even just a littel on the top can sound compresset, Take the summit 1"

Attachments

• rsz_209_er_martinlogan_sumx_1[1].jpg
    rsz_209_er_martinlogan_sumx_1[1].jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 122
Are you saying something about putting a surface, on the speaker's frame, above the top of the ESL cell?

Sanders made curved, he (I think) now makes flat... flat are easier to make. :D

ESLs typically have very poor vertical dispersion no matter what is on top of the speaker's frame.

_-_-bear

Sorry, I think you are mistaken... panel output should not change, except if the top cap/cover effects the amplitude or return time of the sound from the back going to the front.

Also the top cap/cover could cause a diffraction or reflection, but this is not reported by others that I know of.

_-_-bear

Here is a suggestion to achieve some vertical dispersion from a panel which is height restricted. Most of us have experienced the effect of listening to a short panel then standing up so your head is above the top of the panel. You can achieve some limiter vertical dispersion by installing a horizontal set of stator spacers at the top of the panel. If you make the top section of the diaphragm about 3/4 of an inch wide you can get some diffraction off this section which will go vertical for you. Just a thought and probably well worth a try. Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.