analysis epsilon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
have found the problem now i have taken them apart the bass diaphram is suspended around its edges by a rubber strip this has rotten away causing the panel to lose tension and touch the magnets.am going to try and repair these myself as the price quoted by analysis would pay off greeces national debt!

EPSILON201.jpg

Very interesting!

I had been thinking about using a rubber surround design for a planar and I had no idea that it already had been implemented.

And this is the very reason I have not tried it.
Rubber can deteriorate in time.

I could say it looks like an easy repair. He,he
Although quite time consuming, It looks like all of the rubber is in need of replacement. If you just repair the one strip it will be just a matter of time that another one will start to tear.

I was thinking you could just repair the strip just like you can patch a tire inner tube.

But the question is how long would the old material hold up or is it to deteriorated to make a decent bond to some new material on the top and bottom of the existing strip.

I think you may be able to repair just the one strip by gluing on a new rubber band on the top( and bottom?) of the split and then clamp it and retension it.

I'm thinking that the diagphram was clamped into place and then used the heat treatment process to get the tension on the mylar.

If it the repairs were to fail, The construction of a new diagphram doesn't look to be very difficult.

Much easier than on my Apogee Duette's anyhow.
In fact I may try to implement this construction If my repairs fail and have to replace the diagphrams on them.
Now that I see that it has been done on a commercial product

Just my 2 cents.......Hmmmmm.....

jer :)

am going to repair them with a patch up for now as i have only just brought them so would like to use them, and will make some new panels when i get the parts needed have the mylar but need to get some aluminium foil would be grateful someone can advise me where to buy it. as regards the rubber suspension am going to have to get some various rubber strips and just use trial and error till i get one with the right tension unless anyone can recommend some.cheers brian

Hi Bryan T, You can get the foil from CPC 9 mm wide and 45 mtrs long for a few quid. I have used 100's of mtrs of this tape, and the glue is very good . It has lasted over 20 yrs without falling off. Best of luck.$10,000 for a pair of planar speakers, I'm glad I built my own. I have built over 25 full range planars and counting, still rebuilding my old designs, will it never end, such is life. I don't use rubber to fix my diaphragms, I use a wood frame and screws, which don't rot, and you can re-tension if need be. If the 9 mm is too wide you can cut the tape in half, I use scissors and have cut many many mtrs using this method.In fact I have to cut another 45 mtrs for my latest rebuild.

Last edited:
Thanks For the Pix........Tweeter looks cool...Apogee never had the middel brace...Thay saged a littel.... Had a pr of the Duettes.....An Krell KSA250 my, my, set you hair on fire.....in a good way....latenight make some fear ed...bass to die for.....most fun ever..
How is it going... have cameup with the fix....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.