analysis epsilon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Latest rebuild, and my last redesign, I hope!

This is my latest rebuild, the first of many, using the epsilon layout which will be my last redesign.The blue one is the first of the pair, which weigh 5 kilos each, the other one is not quite finished. Just trying the pair together.My next rebuild will be the big one behind the blue one. Should be interesting in the bass!Then will build it's mate. No more gluing magnets. 2 more have come unstuck already. Not worth the hazel and doesn't improve sensitivity in fact it is less.

Attachments

• SAM_0114.JPG
    SAM_0114.JPG
    707.3 KB · Views: 430
  • SAM_0121.JPG
    SAM_0121.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 106
  • SAM_0120.JPG
    SAM_0120.JPG
    651.7 KB · Views: 102
  • SAM_0119.JPG
    SAM_0119.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 123
  • SAM_0118.JPG
    SAM_0118.JPG
    682.8 KB · Views: 362
  • SAM_0117.JPG
    SAM_0117.JPG
    628.7 KB · Views: 364
  • SAM_0116.JPG
    SAM_0116.JPG
    678.9 KB · Views: 367
  • SAM_0115.JPG
    SAM_0115.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 393
Now have the speakers up and running its been a steep learning curve to source the correct suspension materials and satisfactory adhesives but if anyone else has the same problems at least its nice to know they are repairable and with the addition of the aluminium framework i believe an improvement over the factory build.Dont know how i listened to conventional speakers for so long these are a quantum leap up in performance its takes about 10 seconds to realise the difference,the lack of thermal compression is a real eye opener ,notes start and stop much better no overhang as with normal speakers. downsides? yes nothing is perfect you wont get chest thumping bass and one of the major short commings of panel speakers is loudness capability and as a previous owner of apogees i am pleased to confirm the epsilons can play as loud as you want due i suspect to being the only planar speaker i am aware of that has a bass panel suspension allowing the membrane to move futher and in a linear fashion.

Super Job, brian T !!!!

I am use that method when I go to tackle my Duette's.
When I first saw the Duette's (back in 1992),I wondered way they didn't incorporate a surround of some sort.

And now I sure wish they had as they diagphram profusely rattles now.
It makes no difference to me if it is kept original or not as they sound like crap right now.
But the tweeter ribbons are still in excellent shape though.

Super !!!

:cheers:

jer :)

Henry you have been a busy boy! what glue have you been using for the magnets , have you tried double sided adhesive tape not as messy as glues.
Won't be gluing anymore rebuilds redesigns not worth the hassle, every time you move them some more magnets come adrift. You only lose sensitivity with gaps, so no point.Well done with your rebuild looks nicer than original The epsilon layout with no gaps is I think my final rebuild. Only other thing is on the crossover side. Although I don't need any resistors as the diaphragm impedance is high enough with the layouts I am using. Looking forward to hearing my 4' x 2' redesign. using 23um mylar and quite a lot of 4.5 mm wide tape probably over 45 meters, so will have to join with penny washers! Just another 30 rebuilds to go.:eek:

jerry if your not worried about returning your apogee duetta to original spec then yep they will be ideal for fitting a suspension to the bass diaphram, treble ribbon can stay as it is, let me know when your going to do it and will give you info on suspension.cheers

Yep,I sure will !!!

If when I start in to them and mess up the original Diagphram I will have to build a new one.
I am not willing to spend the money having them replaced from a factory rep center when I can build or buy some thing better for much less.

This will also give me the chance to add an extra 2 or 3 more loops in magnetic field as well to bring the efficiency up a bit.

As long as they sound good they will look pretty much the same.

And If the original diagphrams get ruined then I only have the two options anyhow and either would be better than the way they are now!

jer :)

Last edited:
EPSILON,UPDATE.

a few more pics of my latest rebuild and my next rebuild. The green is the epsilon layout which increases the sensitivity over the normal LA FOLLIA LAYOUT. Even though the diaphragm is much heavier the sensitivity is vastly improved, which after all is the end objective, is it not? Using all the magnet area in question. All these rebuilds hanging from the ceiling, will keep me busy and motivated. My first epsilon layout can be seen behind the blue one in the first picture.:eek::no::mad:

Attachments

• SAM_0128.JPG
    SAM_0128.JPG
    684.5 KB · Views: 120
  • SAM_0127.JPG
    SAM_0127.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_0126.JPG
    SAM_0126.JPG
    617.2 KB · Views: 100
  • SAM_0125.JPG
    SAM_0125.JPG
    590.2 KB · Views: 90
  • SAM_0124.JPG
    SAM_0124.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_0123.JPG
    SAM_0123.JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Now have the speakers up and running its been a steep learning curve to source the correct suspension materials and satisfactory adhesives but if anyone else has the same problems at least its nice to know they are repairable and with the addition of the aluminium framework i believe an improvement over the factory build.

Brian: What did you end up using for suspension material and adhesives, if you don't mind me asking? The photos leave me with the impression Analysis used some sort of latex sheet for the suspension---just judging by the color and milky translucence of the material. Is that what you ended up using? If so, what thickness seems to do the job? And then there's the trick of getting all these polymers to stick to each other reliably... I can see why you've spent considerable time trying to work all that out.

Hi i spent weeks buying and trying different materials for the suspension when i finally found the right one its therband gold its an exercise band as well as being the number one choice for slingshot users its expensive but its good quality and more important consistant in its manufacture as its critical the material has consistant thickness as a lot of other makes dont so do not be tempted to get a cheaper type.

Rob, ok lets see if we can get your omega,s working again .the factory repair cost would i believe be even more expensive than mine due to increased size so lets start with what you need i presume its the suspension thats failed and the membrane itself is ok? to make it easy for you i have found some theraband on dutch ebay its item number 280534761171 12.90 euro thats what you need would help if you can post a picture of your speakers so i can advise you more accurately

latest rebuild- progress

Ready to clamp diaphragm, have used about 80 meters of 4.5 mm tape weighs a ton. One row of magnets not needed. The other pictures are my latest rebuilds using the epsilon layout, the blue ones are neos the rest are ferrites. The last picture is my first and only glued one, won't be gluing anymore!! This was my first try.

Attachments

• SAM_0144.JPG
    SAM_0144.JPG
    740.1 KB · Views: 85
  • SAM_0143.JPG
    SAM_0143.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 342
  • SAM_0142.JPG
    SAM_0142.JPG
    658.1 KB · Views: 349
  • SAM_0141.JPG
    SAM_0141.JPG
    706.3 KB · Views: 367
  • SAM_0140.JPG
    SAM_0140.JPG
    817.3 KB · Views: 389
  • SAM_0139.JPG
    SAM_0139.JPG
    808.8 KB · Views: 413
Rob,i used loctite 406 spread a thin film of it to the edge of the rubber about 6mm wide by applying masking tape first to create a nice straight line of glue sqeeze the glue out along the rubber then immediately spread it out with a scrap piece of rubber so you end up with a narrow film of glue which has dried . remove masking tape then apply contact cement to that and film let that touchdry then join. 3m super 77 can also be used and is less messy instead of regular contact cement but you will need to mask off first.one other option which has proved succesful is after applying the 406 use double sided adhesive tape orofol or 3m i have found work fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.