analysis epsilon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can measure the the thickness of the mylar with a micormeter and get a good idea.

It is to my understanding that Apogee used .5mil kapton although I have not yet been able to measure it.
From my own experience and what others have reported it seems that .5mil is a good place to start for a large panel.

I have even done some expriments using model airplane covering (monokote and other brands) on a very wide frame as well.
It seemed to have good stability and should be fine for a bass panel although I never got as far as finishing it as a speaker.

The thickness ranges of that type material is from about .7mil to 1.2 mil depending on the brand and grade that you use.

You can also wash off the excess glue backing with a solvent as well and this will gain at least a .2 mil to .5 mil of less thickness ,as well as a lower mass on the diagphram.

jer :)

henry,will let you know thickness, mate is lending me his micrometer i think its 12um as regards cost of repair you know the cost of the parts as well as me ,dont seem to bear any relation to the actual repair but then this is often the case on planet high end no logic but hey thats life .

BRACE024.jpg

linarray, as you can see i am not averse to building conventional speakers but to me these analysis epsilons have been a revelation and i feel no need to return to them. this is only my opinion and i am no expert . i have no intension of trying to replicate exactly what analysis do i will trend my own path,you obviously like moving coils thats great they have there advantages but i still maintain as regards transparency no normal speakers i have heard or owned comes close, i will be making a new set of panels to compare with the factory ones but getting dozens of rubber samples and glue etc is going to take time.

Just bought a pair of Magnepan SMGb,s just to see how they sound compared to my own designs. I am quite happy with the comparison.If I have to replace my diaphragm , it won't cost me an arm and a leg, only about £5 or less. I have 1 magnepan and one of my own designs running and they make a well matched pair working together. Am in the process of finishing the other one at the moment.Then I will concentrate on re-designing and rebuilding my A4 size FRP.I am also going to build a planar headphone when I get round to it. I don't know yet whether I will rebuild all my designs using 6 or 12 um mylar. The 6um mylar is a bit delicate for the task!! Keeps me out of mischief and and keeps my mind and body active, which helps at my age (73). Keep up the good work with the photo's etc. much appreciated.

Last edited:
sunfire

Not in to Class D,But i have krell here now it a KST 100 old A/B i like the sound as good as the class A,but i have the best sounding an most powerful amp yet for panels...SunFire300 or 600.....USED $700-1k...thay pass more amps 50-80 real amps ,run cool...I am not a carver fan, but this is the real deal...

it looks like i am going to have to replace my krell fbp200 amp as its having a hard time driving these epsilons overheats and cuts out after a while, what about class d amps as it looks like i need a good 300 watts any recommendations.

Strange , they usually do well on such a speaker , well the 300's. Emotiva mono's will work, we had re-biased a Krell KSA200 to a/ab and it does well on low impedance ribbons, you may want to lower the bias on the FPB or use fans if you like the sound.

The KSa200s sounded more dynamic and alive after the re-bias from class-a to A/AB..

Not in to Class D,But i have krell here now it a KST 100 old A/B i like the sound as good as the class A,but i have the best sounding an most powerful amp yet for panels...SunFire300 or 600.....USED $700-1k...thay pass more amps 50-80 real amps, run cool...I am not a carver fan, but this is the real deal...

Tried Sunfire many moons ago (14 yrs) , not sure why i had passed on them at the time, but i did make the switch to Threshold stuff.

As for the Threshold,I had 2 s500 an a fet10,Mr pass help me bias them up never like the sound,Soft.. no gutds..With the Apogees, Do like the pass labs Mosfet amps, Move to Krell KSA 250, that did it for me.
Love the sound...But the SunFire sounds better than any sand amp i had,,,But i am a tube man at hart....The sunfire work well with panels ,Get the best out of Magnepans,
But we no how this is, Only he Knows the sound he looking fore......This is just My 2cent..

I don't have any problems running my designs with amps from 7 watts upwards. Using 4, 8, 16 ohm inputs which are incorporated in all my designs. Just using resistors, the resistors never get hot.I don't use fuses cut outs or any other device for protecting the amp even low powered valve ones.

Briant....Cant say on the Krell you have....but i well say with the older amps an pramps
KSA150...Ksa250...KSL..KBL never like this pr....all needed to be bias to sound right.
Ever time i would see some one say thay sound hard... or brite...it was the bias..An yes there were 2 trim pots that sets the bias...but yours is a newer one but...call krell an tell them that one side is runing hoter than the other...an you would like to set the bias...
thay say just though money...but you not in the USa so maybe thay well help...
the only time i have ran out of power it needed to be bias up..not down...but i dont no these amps.. but .awayne...may...post pix of inside of amp...

Henry, bass ribbons are 10mm wide have not got a micrometer yet for thickness,magnets are 100mm long, 10mm thick,25mm wide spacing of magnets is 2mm apart horizontal and 10mm apart vertical if you manage to source any i would be interested as i would like to build a bigger version similar to the omega model but depends on cost of magnets.cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.