analysis epsilon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The big 4' x 2' sound very nice very revealing, can't wait to build the other one to make a pair.I need to get some more MDF before continuing. So I have decided to build the smaller 60 x 40 cm pair as I already have the MDF and perforated sheet. This will make it possible to hear a pair which will sound better than the one. They are a lot lighter and only use 125 50 x 19 x 10 mm ferrites in each speaker. I can't wait to hear them with the 4 epsilon type membrane. The planars don't need much power and the bass is very good and very tight not boomy at all, compared to the ESL 57, or the ESL 83. which I have as well. A big disappointment to me. I have easily driven my 4' x 2' ferrite ones with valve amps.Even the 60 x 40 mm sized using neos was even easier to drive with valve amps. Yes and no buzzing.

quadruple epsilon clone

Magnets (125) in place and mdf fixed just need to mark the diaphragm out then put the foil on, make wooden picture frame to hold diaphragm in place. The foil will be in one continuous piece. Then just have to wire it up using penny washers. Then loudspeaker 4 mm posts.:whip::djinn:

Attachments

• SAM_0075.JPG
    SAM_0075.JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 549
  • SAM_0076.JPG
    SAM_0076.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 516
I admit it is a different layout to post 98, but I like experimenting, so I will find out when I finish it!! Not got enough superglue to stick magnets in the correct position, so this layout will have to suffice until I get the glue and MDF for the correct layout on the 4' x 2' design as in post 98. To make a pair. C'est la Vie.

Silly me , been running my mixed pair, (4' x 2') full range planars out of phase,!!! Sound a lot more bassy now. Shall have to get a stronger battery to test in the future.. I even used a test cd as well. Must be going senile! Everybody have a good holiday and a happy new year.

continuing epsilon clones

Can't wait for the 12um mylar, so I'm using a neo diaphragm I had hanging around.:santa: Pictures show diaphragm being marked for foil in one continuous piece , will have to use sellotape between as there are 4 epsilon diaphragm layouts on this one. Should finish sunday depending on what I do new years eve!!!;):joker:

Attachments

• SAM_0077.JPG
    SAM_0077.JPG
    951.3 KB · Views: 509
  • SAM_0078.JPG
    SAM_0078.JPG
    644.4 KB · Views: 463
  • SAM_0080.JPG
    SAM_0080.JPG
    658 KB · Views: 437
  • SAM_0079.JPG
    SAM_0079.JPG
    656.1 KB · Views: 407
Have not quite finished but enough to try it against the big one on the left . Which is a double epsilon diaphragm. The small one is a quadruple epsilon diaphragm, which works quite well even tho' the design of magnets is incorrect!!

Attachments

• SAM_0083.JPG
    SAM_0083.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 138
  • SAM_0082.JPG
    SAM_0082.JPG
    560.8 KB · Views: 169
  • SAM_0081.JPG
    SAM_0081.JPG
    603.4 KB · Views: 371
finished small one hanging up and sounds as sensitive as the big one and it weighs 8 kilos and uses 125 magnets as against 294 for the big one. Very happy with the design, may have to rebuild all my designs again:D:eek:

Attachments

• SAM_0084.JPG
    SAM_0084.JPG
    653 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_0085.JPG
    SAM_0085.JPG
    670.2 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_0086.JPG
    SAM_0086.JPG
    638.7 KB · Views: 115
I am going to design and build new pair using 50 x 12.7 x 6 mm neos I have had for some time. Must have been waiting for this design. Just have to work out the magnet and diaphragm layout. Another smaller and lighter design with much improved sensitivity. I had to use these magnets otherwise they would have been wasted!! About the same size 60 x 40 cm, and I don't use any resistors, probably about 6.6 ohms, hopefully. If all works out, I will be kept busy rebuilding all my other 6 x 40 cm designs, with the 50 x 12.7 x 3 mm neos, about 20+ altogether. Wish me luck.!!?

Last edited:
No spacing between magnets found it is a waste of sensitivity, apart from being difficult to glue the magnets to the steel sheet, even worse with neos, especially 6 mm ones. So all my rebuilds and subsequent designs will all be touching magnets. In fact the 60 x 40 cm one is louder than the 4' x 2' design with the gaps between the magnets!!!? So I will have to rebuild all my rebuilds. Wish me luck.

Hi Jamesbos,
You have some interesting speaker building there. I have about 300 pcs of 50x10x5 neos, and would be interested in building what you have. Some questions I would like to clarify if you don't mind.

1.By building the 60x40, how big is the sweet spot?
2.How wide is the frequency range?
3.How should I match the magnet pattern to the foil layout pattern?
4Should it have some through space like in the ESL?
5.What's the tension should be?
6.What do you think about a 80x30? Advantage and disadvantage?

Appreciated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.