analysis epsilon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have a couple of questions after reading through the 25 pages.
What is the distance is between the magnets and the back of the diaphragm?
How are the magnets oriented on the perforated metal. Do they go N_S_N_S horizontally or are they just N_N_N_N (or for that matter S_S_S_S)?
Thanks
Andrew

Usually alternating vertical columns of N and S.

I measured the distance from the mylar to the steel, on my Magnepan MG-12s, a year or two ago, and also measured the magnetic field strength. I posted the results in one of the threads, here. So you should be able to find it with a search.

Maybe search for "mgnepan tesla gauss". I also seem to recall posting with the wrong units, once. So maybe searching for "tesla torr" would find it more quickly

Last edited:
Hi
I have a couple of questions after reading through the 25 pages.
What is the distance is between the magnets and the back of the diaphragm?
How are the magnets oriented on the perforated metal. Do they go N_S_N_S horizontally or are they just N_N_N_N (or for that matter S_S_S_S)?
Thanks
Andrew
When I use ferrites the distance is 2 mm, and when I use neos the distance is 3 mm. When placing the magnets it is always NSNSNS etc. I have built the magnets both vertically and horizontally. I prefer the horizontal method overall, this gives better bass, I have found. I will probably experiment with tuning the diaphragm using springs. Should be interesting. I will have to experiment more as there are so many different parameters involved in building FRP I have found. Almost too many to get my head around. I only hope I am up to the task. Still we shall see, wish me luck.:D

If anyone is still reading this thread and wants to understand how detailed the work involved in producing a good diy planar speaker, then have a good read of this site (The writer has made many many mistakes & discoveries along his path of enlightenment - avoid these considerations at your own cost of time/effort/money).

Do It Yourself - Ribbon Speakers - Project: La Folia magnetostatic by Mogens Gallardo

Planar speakers, when done correctly, don't just sound like 'speakers'...

...They sound Fabulous !!!

Enjoy. :)

MY LAST DESIGN AT LAST

As I said I no longer use mylar for my diaphragms and use a different method of fixing the diaphragm. No problem with stretching as I don't use mylar any longer . Very happy with final results.

Attachments

• SAM_2156.JPG
    SAM_2156.JPG
    769.9 KB · Views: 265
  • SAM_2157.JPG
    SAM_2157.JPG
    854.6 KB · Views: 253
  • SAM_2164.JPG
    SAM_2164.JPG
    683.3 KB · Views: 240
  • SAM_2165.JPG
    SAM_2165.JPG
    956.6 KB · Views: 224
  • SAM_2166.JPG
    SAM_2166.JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 224
  • SAM_2167.JPG
    SAM_2167.JPG
    847.9 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.