New fountek tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just noticed that fountek has released a new series of ribbons. Not sure if they're already available on the market, and I dunno the price. Spec wise, they seem better than the older series, as they require a lower order crossover. For instance, for the neocd3.0 a 3d order is recomended, for the new series, a 2nd order is suggested.
A comparison with other ribbons would be interesting.

How does the thickness of the diaphragm influence the sound? I see that the raal have a 0.004mm thickness, while these new fountek have the same thickness as the old series: 0.015mm.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a thinner diaphragm.

thinner ribbon:
+ higher sensibility
+ more extended frequency response in the treble
0 frequency response rises above 10KHz
- more fragile

I am using 0.0008 mm.

thinner ribbon:
+ higher sensibility
+ more extended frequency response in the treble
0 frequency response rises above 10KHz
- more fragile

I am using 0.0008 mm.

That is amazing, what tweeter do you have? Indeed the fountek have that dam bump above 10khz, though it's easily solvable by putting the speakers 15° off-axis.
With more fragile do you also mean less power handling, i.e. requiring a higher order crossover?

That is amazing, what tweeter do you have? Indeed the fountek have that dam bump above 10khz, though it's easily solvable by putting the speakers 15° off-axis.
With more fragile do you also mean less power handling, i.e. requiring a higher order crossover?

My DIY tweeter is described here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/195044-stackable-ribbon-module.html

With more fragile, I mean that the ribbon can break easily with wind. I have been using a 0.8 micron (0.0008 mm) ribbon for a few weeks now with a 1st order XO at 1000 Hz. It still works.

Bruno

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.