Apogee Speakers Construction

From the Sound output chang from just puting new foam on the top an bottem rails...
Baybe 1-2db more output....... i well try foam to stop buzzing .....silicone well be the last thing .....right befor i sale them....I have had the Duetta Sg an miny Stages befor... To bad Magnepan had to give Jason such a bad time....I can see any thing like a Magnepan in a Apogee driver... but thay bouth use magnets..
I think if Jason had been abel to make the Duetta Bass like the stages with the rounded cuts in the foil....an not just the Horizonel sharp lines cut into all the other basses.....It would have made all fall into place sound wise....
but this is just one Diy Nutjobs thinking....
Thanks for any an all info on Apogees

tuning bass

Hi John, I'm glad you managed to cure your Apoges.
The low frequencies, they deliver, are outstanding.
With mine I use a Vincent amp (SP-331), very powerful and tight sounding bass.

About the little rest of buzz, you've got; sometimes the cover can produce sounds. Maybe try some clamps to verify if they still buzz. If yes, put something under the cover, that damps (very thin rubber plates or something similar).

Maybe I try if mine have this buzz at the frequencies you mentioned. I'll inform you.

But you can do me a favour, too :)
Please send me this document, describing the tuning procedure, I can't find it now.
Maybe I'll retune mine (but on the other side, they sound good the way they are....)

Oh, one more thing to mention:
The stiffness of the body is not the best. I raised it by mounting three bars made of steel at the backside (at the top, middle and bottom). I screwed the bars horizontal onto the mdf board. Of course, being very carefull not to damage something inside.

Maybe later, I'll send pics.
@Tyu:
You are right about the stage, I had them, too. They have really nice midrange.
But the fundamental resonance of the bass panel is so high that a lot of music is affected.
With the duetta, the resonance is lower and spread over a certain range (tuning of the panel)
About upper mids, mine are fine. I can,t say, that they lack resolution. Before I applied the silicone, my speakers were not listenable.
See you

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Here it is. The file is in German (hey, here's that German thing again!!). It shows a typical tear down and re-installation of new ribbons and bass panels (now if you could only get someone to sell you the bass panels...)

At the very end of the pdf, you will see info on tuning. Most of you may already have this file, but it was relatively new to me. and helped me understand how the Duettas were made.

http://suburbansurvey.no-ip.org/manual.pdf

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Yeah, that procedure is from just a few years ago.
I have the old, original Apogee procedure if you're interested. It is very dated with regard to test equipment and procedures but the basic information regarding the woofer tuning frequencies is still, of course, valid.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks john ....Nice to see this work!

As for the point about the Apogee Stages there are mods ....an one is to chang the crossover on the bass panls a littel....cut the 80mf to 40mf...an put a Zobe in parel like a 1ohm 50watt to neg...an a 20mf cap to pos....some say this pull the Stage out front of the Duetta Sg....I well let other makeup there mind?
The Zobel is a good thing ...these big panels are great RF&AM FM antas....
I have the Duetta Sg an the Stages now so i can move things around...the bass well alway go low with the duettas ....but that can be dealt with...the duettas bass was what sold me in the 90s....but it has a cost in the uper mid...
An i get all points if the speaker dont work the FIX is a must ...are you can just give them away like the guy i got my Duettas from...most cant live with the buzz an the size....
thanks for any an all info on Apogees.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The bass panels can be re-tensioned, but I do not know what the target frequency is.

The vertical wooden clamp is likely the tension clamp, and has bolt tensioners probably like those in the vids for the Duettas.

If they are that bad and unlistenable, I would go ahead and experiment a bit with re-tensioning...

The bass panels can be re-tensioned, but I do not know what the target frequency is.

The vertical wooden clamp is likely the tension clamp, and has bolt tensioners probably like those in the vids for the Duettas.

If they are that bad and unlistenable, I would go ahead and experiment a bit with re-tensioning...

Can someone post links to appropriate vids please.

Here is what my bad Caliper bass panel looks like. It works but makes horrible noises. It seems retensioning to the original spec should solve my problems. Also, if someone could post a link to a service manual or at least a schematic of the foil layout on the Caliper, unless they're all the same and then a generic foil layout would be nice.

Attachments

• 2013-04-29_09-56-13_678.jpg
    2013-04-29_09-56-13_678.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 2013-04-29_09-55-41_493.jpg
    2013-04-29_09-55-41_493.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 417
  • 2013-04-29_09-56-19_934.jpg
    2013-04-29_09-56-19_934.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 409
  • 2013-04-29_09-56-25_248.jpg
    2013-04-29_09-56-25_248.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 2013-04-29_09-55-35_232.jpg
    2013-04-29_09-55-35_232.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 403
  • 2013-04-29_08-26-18_823.jpg
    2013-04-29_08-26-18_823.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I disconnected the jumper and resistance went to open so I re-jumpered the bottom stipe to the second from the bottom strip on the straight side and now bass panel resistance is 3.1 ohms. Some parts of the panel seem much more active than others. Is it or is it not possible to re-tension this driver?

I guess your foil has a break in the circuit somewhere, look under the horizontal bars on top and bottom for a small crack in the foil.
Sorry, in my opinion you have to put new foil in your speakers.
Retensioning won't do it.
Beside the crack, the foil is very uneven, plus I suppose you've got the buzz.