Monsoon Planar Media 9 Audio System .Speaker Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
appreciate you willingness to help; however it appears that the cable is available however when you trace the cable to the control center it appears to be soldered into the board; so leads to the question how does one use a different cable to connect?

We're going to have to break out the soldering iron - either to replace the connector in the PCB or splice the cable.

Alternatively one could theoretically get the individual cable crimps out of the connector soldered to the PCB. I think that path would lead to madness.

black chassis earth
brown 9V in
red audio earth
orange from amp 1
yellow from amp 2
green bass out
blue to amp 1
white to amp 2
black mute out (high=on)

The little IC appears to be a dual power opamp to drive the headphones, which is also what most of the electrolitic caps are for.

L+R -> bass mixing happens here but low pass/high pass filtering appears not to happen here.

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ring - chassis earth

It looks like wire colour code matches pin number for the remaining signals. My probes are too large and my fingers not steady enough to be sure - I need to find a dead apple to get a female socket to test properly.

Sorry - completely back to front. Pin 1 appears to be attached to black-next-to-white down to pin 8 on brown.

Last edited:
My turn to ask for controller

Don't know. Regular paying jobs 1st.

dave

I have lost the controller to my Planar 9 set. Do you still have the controller? I tossed it by accident as it was needing some soldering- the DIN plug remained in the sub but not the wires not-so-much... sound familiar?

Been trying to figure out what to do for 3 years and finally getting around to trouble-shooting (spelled g-o-o-g-l-e)

BTW I am over at 604...

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have lost the controller to my Planar 9 set. Do you still have the controller? I tossed it by accident as it was needing some soldering- the DIN plug remained in the sub but not the wires not-so-much... sound familiar?

99% of failures. Best fix is to hardwire the controller to the board (no i don't know the pin-out). I have a queue of people waiting for me to check out the controllers i have.

BTW I am over at 604...

Over in Canada eh? You should think about traveling over to the VI Republic for diyFEST next August :D

dave

I visit here often but seldom post. I'm curious as to whether anyone might be interested in a new/unused model 9 set. I'm not selling it yet but if I do I promise to put it in the classifieds here. How much should I ask for it? BTW, I have two model 9 sets that I've enjoyed for years without any serious problems.

Oh... and I have socks plugging the ports. I like them better sealed.

Last edited:
Monsoon power issues

Hello, I'm Al and I stumbled across this forum by accident and I love it. A great source of info on all things audio.

I too have the Monsoon Planar Media 9 system and the problem I'm having is as follows: When I power them on, after a minute or so the power and power LED starts to fade away until the unit is off. By accident, I discovered that if I bump the sub-woofer, or lift it 1/2 inch or so and drop it flat, the power returns for a bit. Then the issue starts all over again and eventually they never power on again until a few hours later. I opened the system to see if there was anything obvious and the only thing I found strange is that the white plastic plug from the transformer has a small burn mark on the side closest to the center. The fuse is OK and everything else seems normal. So, could anyone please give me ANY idea as to why/how bumping or dropping the enclosure could bring it back to life? What component could be sensitive to vibration? Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

:confused:

PS: I attached a pic of the plug and you can see the burn mark

Attachments

• Monsoon Transformer Plug.jpg
    Monsoon Transformer Plug.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 141
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is it a burn mark, or is it discolouration due to dirt/pollutant attraction to the white plastic. Hard in a picture to get the "full picture".

If its burning then the plug should be snipped off, the socket removed and the leads safely hard wired to the PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.