Monsoon Planar Media 9 Audio System .Speaker Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planar media 9 work without volume control?

planar media9 issue: can this play without the control puck? I opened the sub; fuse looks good still nothing; hook up the speakers to the sub with headphone plug to computer/iphone nothing? any ideas- really would love to get this working again.

MH-502 system finally complete!!!

Got home today to see a pile of parcels on the stairs - great news!

One was a box from the USPS - the only thing it could be was a puck, power supply and sub for a MH-502 system. For which I've had the satellites for years!

Opened the box. Rattling noise. Oh-oh! Out come screwdrivers - fortunately USPS had only managed to knock part of the port loose (old hot glue is, well, old).

Stuck it back on and back together. Dug out a 240 to 110 converter and fired it up. Nothing. Nada. Keine. Wobble the puck. Some crackling.

Bypass puck and feed the system directly - it lives!!!

Sally Whitwell hammering out Philip Glass on a Stuart and Sons wundermachine.

And it sounds great! (Ok. for a pokey PC set up) Lynn Olson might not be overly impressed but I'm wrapped! (or is it rapped?)

Still got to fix the puck, or replace it. But I'm happy (and there's no hum, unlike my system 9)

Last edited:
Planar 9 puck

planar media9 issue: can this play without the control puck? I opened the sub; fuse looks good still nothing; hook up the speakers to the sub with headphone plug to computer/iphone nothing? any ideas- really would love to get this working again.

The puck has both the volume control and the mute circuit.

IE the signal goes out to the puck and back again - the mute provides a DC signal to turn the amp on and off. (IIRC it's 5V for on, 5V off - but don't quote me).

If you can't find a puck I'll buzz mine out - I very much doubt there's anything active in it other than the LED - just two pots and a switch.

thanks for that

The puck has both the volume control and the mute circuit.

IE the signal goes out to the puck and back again - the mute provides a DC signal to turn the amp on and off. (IIRC it's 5V for on, 5V off - but don't quote me).

If you can't find a puck I'll buzz mine out - I very much doubt there's anything active in it other than the LED - just two pots and a switch.

So; I read that if you connect the two speakers to the bass module and run the headphone jack to your computer you'll get sound. I tried this with no success; David- I will be ready to proceed shortly have your returned from your trip.

Thanks!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 193
System 9 de-pucked

So; I read that if you connect the two speakers to the bass module and run the headphone jack to your computer you'll get sound. I tried this with no success; David- I will be ready to proceed shortly have your returned from your trip.
No - the System 9 puck has a mute function which turns off the amplifiers and the audio goes via the puck. No puck, no noise.

The MH-502 puck is just an in-wire volume control between the source and the amplifier system. It can be bypassed completely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.