B&G RD-75 dipole - baffle and or waveguide?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've been using a pair of B&G RD-75 for quite a while. They are used as dipoles with no baffle at all - just the bare driver. This works very well, and there is usable response to 150 Hz.

The frequency response of the driver itself shows a peak around 5 kHz of approx 7 dB. Apart from that, the response is more or less flat. I wanted to find out if this peak could be affected by changing the baffle size or shape.

1. Making a wide flat baffle: did not change anything apart from more level below 1 kHz.

2. "Waveguide" type of baffle: only increased the 5 kHz peak.

3. Smoothing the edges of the driver: this actually reduced the peak by 3-4 dB. In addition, this very small extension of the effective baffle width increased the level below 1 kHz by as much as 3 dB.

The modification I did was quite simple, its just round plumbing foam insulators and duct tape... Se pics below.

Anyone with similar experience or suggestions?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ribbon Peak ?

The ribbons do have a peak and some, carver for instance, supplied a passive R-L-C ckt to put in series with the ribbon to tame it. Or it might be eq'ed out. Would probably need some instrumentation to measure the parts and the speaker response after filtering ...

Jim

I've been meaning to try very similar roundover geometries on my Neo3s and Neo10s--still working on my electronics and haven't got back to the acoustic side of things yet.

Adding a baffle should lower the onset of beaming in frequency so I assume the measurements of post 1 are on axis only. It'd be interesting to see the waveguide shape (I'd default to a Le Cleach profile) and how the polars compare between nude and configurations 1, 2, and 3.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
just got some b&g to play with, i had the wisdom adrenaline some years ago and they were awesome, what sort of crossover are you using, i have some 12db 300hz, will they be ok or will it damage the ribbon

300 Hz / 12 dB should be fine.

I use digital PC-based crossover at 180 Hz with approx 24 dB slope.

You will need EQ as well. First, there is the rather large peak at 5 kHz that you must do something about. Next, the driver will probably need EQ below 1 kHz, depending of baffle size and listening distance. I also think its a good idea to EQ the top end, the driver is more than 10 dB down at 20 kHz.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've been meaning to try very similar roundover geometries on my Neo3s and Neo10s--still working on my electronics and haven't got back to the acoustic side of things yet.

Adding a baffle should lower the onset of beaming in frequency so I assume the measurements of post 1 are on axis only. It'd be interesting to see the waveguide shape (I'd default to a Le Cleach profile) and how the polars compare between nude and configurations 1, 2, and 3.

True - all my measurements were taken on axis.

I didnt keep the baffle or waveguide, they were just experimental anyway. The waveguide was not far from a Le Cleach profile actually.

Will look into doing off-axis measurements of the current solution with the rounded edges (#3 on my list there, and shown on the pics)

Hi StigErik,

I posted two days ago on the older thread, did not notice you started a new one. Your experiments are really interesting, I am myself the proud owner of a pair of Orions. If you have listened to them, how would you compare the B&G+dipole subs?

Cheers

Laurent

PS: I lived in norway for nearly 3 years!

Don't know if the website still exists, and I do not recall the name of the person who put it up, but he had done extensive baffle tests on the RD75 ribbons when they first appeared on the market.

Iirc, he came up with an asymmetrical tapered and somewhat fat rounded "aircraft wing" profile as providing the best combination of flatness and extension... he tried a LOT of different methods... very good testing location (hung from a gym truss, iirc)

_-_-bear

Perhaps a search will show that it still exists... or someone may remember it.

This was one of the more interesting posts I have read in along time. I am building my own full ribbon planar speaker. Bass ribbon ( apogee like) hand cut. I have one question regarding the DC offset of the amplifier you are using on the BG ribbon. What kind of amplifier are you using to drive the BG ? Even the smallest DC offset on the output when turning on or off the amplifier could destroy the ribbon totally, so be aware. Just curious.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.