Line Source Dipole Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

For 2 month ago I received my beloved Magnepan 1.7 but from the start they needed some assistant in the lower part.

Then I designed a line source dipole subwoofer:
4 x Peerless SLS 400 – 830867 pr side. And I used the sidewalls for the outside baffle – see picture:

2011-06-23_120612_9.jpg

To get the same finish as the Magnepan 1.7 I orderd two “Socks” directly from Magnepan – great service and in a week I receive them here in Denmark !

More pictures:
2011-07-08_161436_stuen1.jpg

2011-07-08_161906_magfront.jpg

2011-07-08_161941_magbehind.jpg

2011-07-08_162015_magbehind3.jpg

Last edited:
And here comes the measurements of the subwoofer alone:
All measurements are made from my listen place with a window on 60msec and smoothing = 1/N=5

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A: Blue Left, B: Red Right without crossover & eq

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A: Blue Left without crossover+eq, B: Red with crossover: 75 hz-48db/octave + par eq at 20hz, 80hz & 165hz and hishelf from 90hz - yes many function on my Lyngdorf

Difference on left and right

Last edited:
Sorry I may be missing something here but what is the point in this?

Considering that the bass coming from your subwoofers is omnidirectional (Definitly true for 80hz down but the effect starts at arround 150hz)

The only directional tone you will be able to hear from them is the harmonic distortion.

I have now placed the Maggies with a little space = 10cm from the subtowers and at the same time switched them L/R - so the Maggies now plays with the tweeters outside. Very interesting is now that the roomresonance I had before in the lower mids are almost gone so male voices are now more clear !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.