What are Decca Kelly London Ribbon Tweeters Worth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Decca Kelly London Ribbon Tweeters. These are in as new condition. I bought them about 45 years ago from a shop in Australia. They were demo units. I never got around to using them and now my hearing is so bad that I wouldn't be able to hear them anyway..

Does anyone have any idea how much they are worth. There are 2 tweeters and one genuine Decca crossover unit as well as 2 spare ribbon formers (with damaged foils)

Decca Kelly London Ribbon Tweeters

I have seen them go for as little as $300 and as high as $800 depending on condition and if there are competitive bidders at the same time. Some advice, don't be afraid of international shipping, freight forwarders are your friends, if a collector really wants these they won't mind paying for the shipping fees.

The Asian and UK markets are the most likely buyers. The best place to list them would be on Audiogon, then the second choice being ebay.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I got $1200 for the last pair of good ones i'd had (with no XOs and no extra ribbons). This was before the cheap Chinese ribbon invasion or the RAALs. More recently a friend got a set of the older/smaller Decca Kelly for $600. We figured it was a good deal.

I'd suggests that given all the bits you have that at least $800 is warranted.

Not only do these have collector appeal, they are a fantastic tweeter, and the horn load allows an XO as low as 1000 Hz (your XO is probably 1.5k). These would be fantastic for some kind of high end econowave project

dave

Decca Kelly Ribbons

Thanks for all the replies. THey have been most helpfull.

I found the article on repairing the foils.

Pity my hearing has deteriated in the highs and I'll never know how good these speakers really are.

I didn't realise how much interest there is in vintage hi fi equipment.

I might be tempted to now sell my Thorens TD125 turntable with SME arm and Shure v15 Cartridge.

Wally

I currently have 3 pairs, two loose pairs and one in a Celef RT-1 3 way speaker. They are the clearest and loveliest highs that I have ever heard, and back in the 80s, these DK30s were incredibly expensive. AND it is so easy to remanufacture your own ribbons! I have a secret way of doing it which is SO much easier to do than to explain. Yes of course I'm willing to share! Once you get rid of these, it is so difficult to get more. They are truly fabulous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.