0.6my aluminium ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use capacitor paper from a now closed capacitor factory.
No problem too corrugate when sandwiched with paper.
It is very strong ribbon. the planar ribbon in the youtube clip
is crossovered at 200hz. Ok very step digital filter.The 1meter
true ribbon is crossed at 1000hz 12db

Thanks ABJensen,

I'm trying to find source of that fine Washi paper, should'nt be far off the thickness of the capacitor paper, I think. Otherwise I've got few meters left of DuPont Mylar 3um, but that will not corrugate well.

With such a wide gap (27 mm) and small magnets with a square section (10x10 mm), the magnetic field is very uneven in the ribbon gap - weak in the middle compared to the magnet surface. But then, if it sounds good ...

Brunob , could you explain your position on this a bit more , the middle will always be weaker than the ends, are you suggesting a different magnet size (instead of 10x10 ) to give more field strength in the middle ..

regards,

With such a wide gap (27 mm) and small magnets with a square section (10x10 mm), the magnetic field is very uneven in the ribbon gap - weak in the middle compared to the magnet surface. But then, if it sounds good ...

What about adding helper magnets in the middle, instead of steel pieces to close the magnetic circuit. You could space them out to
compensate for weaker field in the middle and no problems with saturation point of steel. Also use stacked disc or rod magnets to
minimise reflections from the back.

Peter.

Last edited:
What software are you using to measure?

This build is very similar to my ribbon prototype that I built a few weeks ago.

I will redo the ribbon with supports spaced along the ribbon as it tends to move out of the magnetic field. Also I will build a more "domestic" construction in a wife-acceptable design and colour when the time comes.

regards,

Bent

Brunob , could you explain your position on this a bit more , the middle will always be weaker than the ends, are you suggesting a different magnet size (instead of 10x10 ) to give more field strength in the middle ..

regards,

I performed several FEMM simulations and measurements. Narrower magnets and deeper cavities give a more homogenous magnetic field in the gap.
See "The tall neodymium ribbon". Part 1. See also http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...d-constructing-ribbon-unit-2.html#post2466928

Just got some alu leaf tape this morning. Wow, 25 cm length of 45mm wide tape measured 1.2R. I'll be replacing the ribbon over the weekend on my 1.3 m ribbons :D. Quick test of corrugating the ribbon bonded to 3um Mylar worked a treat, thanks ABJensen, great idea. Btw was your aluminium leaf tape made up of small sections or was it continuous length? That might be the reason for higher resistance (apart from thickness) since there will be contact resistance between the small pieces that make up the tape.

Peter

Last edited:
Just got some alu leaf tape this morning. Wow, 25 cm length of 45mm wide tape measured 1.2R. I'll be replacing the ribbon over the weekend on my 1.3 m ribbons :D. Quick test of corrugating the ribbon bonded to 3um Mylar worked a treat, thanks ABJensen, great idea. Btw was your aluminium leaf tape made up of small sections or was it continuous length? That might be the reason for higher resistance (apart from thickness) since there will be contact resistance between the small pieces that make up the tape.

Peter

Now does the increased resistance comes at a cost in sonics ...?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Brunob :

To make sure i'm following you correctly . Are you saying it is better to have
a a 10mm (H) x30 mm ( d) magnet vs 10 mm x10 mm .?

wider magnets are much stronger
but only makes sense if you place them like this
ribbon is placed in level with front of magnet
felt between the magnets
very easy to build it like this
no need to use glue on magnets either

Attachments

• IMG_0365 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0365 (Large).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 572
I have measuret one leaf 15*1.7 cm 0.6 ohm
I have measuret one ribbon 160*1.7cm 5.4 ohm
This is not done 100% precise with presicion instrument. But it indicate contact resistens is not high.
And the high resistens comes from the thin aluminium.

Last edited:
Mine is made of 15cm leaf that overlap. Is yours continuous ? UKPD.Looking forward too your opinion of the sound.Well I am happy too bring some too diy comunity. Just call it the Jensen ribbon :cool:

Mine are with 10 cm leaf which is very loose on joints, when rechecked previous measurement pressing at the joint lines the resistance was dropping.
I will try to press the ribbon while gluing & see if that helps. Maybe put some thinned down silver conducting adhesive on the joint.
Jensen ribbon... like it:)

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.