Acoustat Spectra 11 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New guy here. I picked up a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11s. I have completely refinished the outside and replaced 5 burnt high voltage diodes in the left crossover. The units sound very nice but I'm sure there must be some crossover modifications that I can do to make them sound even better. Can anyone lead me to where I can find this information ? Thank you. Mike

New guy here. I picked up a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11s. I have completely refinished the outside and replaced 5 burnt high voltage diodes in the left crossover. The units sound very nice but I'm sure there must be some crossover modifications that I can do to make them sound even better. Can anyone lead me to where I can find this information ? Thank you. Mike

The weakest link of the Spectra 11 is the woofer itself. In fact, it is the woofer and its crossover that is the main difference between the Spectra 11 and the more expensive Spectra 1100. The ESL portions are identical.

I can't offer any specific recommendations on a different woofer: you may find some threads on that topic in the Acoustat section of www.audiocircuit.com. However, any 8" woofer of excellent quality that is designed to work in that enclosure's volume would be a big improvement. There are lots of choices available at www.partsexpress.com, as well as other suppliers.

Keep in mind that you will probably want to change the crossover values for the woofer section (components are located on the PC board). A different woofer will almost necessarily require a change in the crossover to make for a seamless transition to the ESL.

The only other change I might recommend is to replace the electrolytic in series with the ESL transformer with a polypropylene or other high quality film type. This change won't be nearly as dramatic as replacing the woofer, but I consider it worthwhile.

Good Luck with your modifications, and do write again if you have more questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.