Ribbon Low-End Response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a repost as it didn't make sense to post this where I previously did.

I'm just getting into this DIY ribbon business and as of now I have a few ribbon prototypes up and running. My main focus right now is pushing the bass response of the ribbons as low as possible. Whats the lowest anyone here has gotten their ribbon to go? Is there a practical limit that everyone has conceded to (given the ribbon width vs resistance limitations)? Obviously I could make a 3-inch wide ribbon but it would be prohibitively long and thus require a huge number of magnets.

If you go to DIY PLANARS USING NEOS you will find plenty of pictures, and if you look thro' all the planar posts you will find more.It's easier to build a full range planar , no crossover no transformers just great sound in 1 package weighing 5 kilos. I have 9 of my small 60 x 40 cm speakers hanging of my ceiling and also 2 4' x 2' using ferrites as the main speakers and 2 2' x 2' using ferrites as my sub woofers, as part of my 9-2 surround set up with my new AV Receiver.

Last edited:
Yes, the ribbon width being so much smaller than a wavelength and inability to seal the air path around the sides of the ribbon, allowing air movement between the front and back of the ribbon which cancels instead of propagating. If you put a sealing suspension on those sides, then it is called a planar dynamic.

Yes, the ribbon width being so much smaller than a wavelength and inability to seal the air path around the sides of the ribbon, allowing air movement between the front and back of the ribbon which cancels instead of propagating. If you put a sealing suspension on those sides, then it is called a planar dynamic.

Magnet position:

Planer dynamic is magnets behind perforated plate , ribbon magnets on the side , front and back open.

You can make a PP ribbon ( magnets front and back no plate/ use bars ) as per Yankee ribbon or PP planer magnetic ( plates and magnets front and back) . The best planer magnetic bass driver has to be from apogge much better than magnapan, difficult to do , but worth the effort IMO.

regards,

Tried the push pull design on my full range magnetic planars and I found it wasn't worth the extra magnets or the extra work so abandoned this approach. The secret of higher sensitivity is the weight of the membrane the lighter the better. I built speakers 7' high but it wasn't worth the effort. Especially compared to my 60 x 40 mm sized latest design using 4.5 mm wide foil and 23 um mylar. To improve it even further I may have to reduce the width of the foil and use 6 um mylar, but this would be a lot more difficult, and it may not make much difference to the finished speaker and it would definitely be more fragile. I have not yet decided if this is worth the hours of work. Especially at my age.

George Short builds ribbons that work down to 80 hz.

Vaya_Frequency_Response.JPG

Fibonacci Technologies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.