ESL Mylar stretching Tension

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wat tension is correct when stretching the mylar foil?

My two full range ESL's differ in SPL whereas the resonance frequency is comparable (coating is 100% ok). Compensating with Bias voltage works but it still puzzles me if it is better for a full range ESL to have a low tension and a lower bias voltage to avoid sticking to the stators.

What is your experience in this?

Thanks in advance,

Arno

From what I've read on this board I think 2-4% stretch is appropriate.
I'm gearing up for my first build myself so I can only repeat what I seem to remember reading.
Hopefully you can get some better advice from people with real experience.
It'll be interesting for me as well.

Wat tension is correct when stretching the mylar foil?

My two full range ESL's differ in SPL whereas the resonance frequency is comparable (coating is 100% ok). Compensating with Bias voltage works but it still puzzles me if it is better for a full range ESL to have a low tension and a lower bias voltage to avoid sticking to the stators.

What is your experience in this?

Thanks in advance,

Arno

Hi Arno,

Could you check the drive voltages of both esls?

To answer your question; lowering bias voltage will decrease efficiency. Rob de Lugt (audio4) once made a very wide esl bass panel with rather low polarization voltage. The result was amazing low bass but at very low soundpressure as well

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.