ID my Acoustats, please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair that have been described as Model 3. They are full range and 72"x28". All the photos I've seen of Model 3s are shorter with a 6-8" high wood base. Mine have no wood base, just a 1.5" high black laminate base.

Any ideas of what they are? History of them?

Also, while they sound incredible, I'm guessing I need to be prepared to think about some maintenance, recapping, etc. There used to be a guy that could do it in South FL, Sounds Like New, I think.

Is he still around? I'm thrilled to have found this forum. I feel privileged to be a member of the acoustat club. Thanks

The original shorter Model 3 has a wood grain laminate base that is 10" high and 28" wide 4" thick (deep). Has (2) 9" panels angled slightly left and right flanking either side of a 8" panel. Totaling 28" wide you can't see the array when the grill sock is on. The total height is under 60" with the screw in feet or about 60" with the caster style plastic wheel feet. Your description is sounding like the "other" Model 3 which is every bit the same as the original Model 3 above I believe but yours may have 20"+ tall base which puts the panel vertical centers up another 10" or so. the panels are under 46" so that would put the center of the panels at about 43-45" and the total height at just about the 72" you describe. is there a flat foot panel that sticks out the front about 6-8"? And does that extend back to seat the 121 interface on? Sound like the taller Model 3 if what I describe is accurate. Maybe the foot board extends out but the 121 interface box bolts right to the back and there are screw in feet at the corners of the metal box?

Last edited:
The original shorter Model 3 has a wood grain laminate base that is 10" high and 28" wide 4" thick (deep). Has (2) 9" panels angled slightly left and right flanking either side of a 8" panel. Totaling 28" wide you can't see the array when the grill sock is on. The total height is under 60" with the screw in feet or about 60" with the caster style plastic wheel feet. Your description is sounding like the "other" Model 3 which is every bit the same as the original Model 3 above I believe but yours may have 20"+ tall base which puts the panel vertical centers up another 10" or so. the panels are under 46" so that would put the center of the panels at about 43-45" and the total height at just about the 72" you describe. is there a flat foot panel that sticks out the front about 6-8"? And does that extend back to seat the 121 interface on? Sound like the taller Model 3 if what I describe is accurate. Maybe the foot board extends out but the 121 interface box bolts right to the back and there are screw in feet at the corners of the metal box?

That sounds like it. Which model is newer, the shorter or taller? thanks

Sounds like a Model 3 to me. Over the years, the three-panel wide configuration was one of the most popular, and saw the most variations in style. But except for the Monitor Three, all of them were simply known as Model 3, only adding to confusion. Further adding to the confusion is that Acoustat never marked the speakers with the model number, until the Spectra Series was introduced, when I insisted that we start marking the speakers with model number!

The most common question about Acoustats: What model do I have?!:scratch:

Sounds like a Model 3 to me. Over the years, the three-panel wide configuration was one of the most popular, and saw the most variations in style. But except for the Monitor Three, all of them were simply known as Model 3, only adding to confusion. Further adding to the confusion is that Acoustat never marked the speakers with the model number, until the Spectra Series was introduced, when I insisted that we start marking the speakers with model number!

The most common question about Acoustats: What model do I have?!:scratch:

Thanks. Do you know about the guy from Sounds Like New - still in business? Or is there anyone else in FL that can work on these?

Hi Andy!

Gator,
I believe the 1st one I describe with the 10" tall woodgrain base is the original model three. It is the shorter of the two. The Monitor 3 has the same 3 panels (2) 9" and (1) 8" but arranged in a tighter arc. The grill cloth is actually wrapped around to show the curve on Monitor 3 and Monitor 4. But back to the taller Model 3 it is the newer of the two Model 3 versions. That is an educated guess. If you do a search for Acoustat Model 3 you'll find pictures of both and the taller ones look like a taller "monolithic" slab. I think that the shorter "older" version always has laminate woodgrain "light or dark or rosewood" on the bottom. The taller slab base on what appears to be your taller ones is covered from top down to the foot plate with the grill sock. Is that what yours are like? Is there a "Acoustat" logo plate on the the foot board?

BTW Model 3 make real bass don't they? I was amazed at that the first time I fired up a set of Model 3's.

Hi Andy!

The taller slab base on what appears to be your taller ones is covered from top down to the foot plate with the grill sock. Is that what yours are like? Is there a "Acoustat" logo plate on the the foot board?

BTW Model 3 make real bass don't they? I was amazed at that the first time I fired up a set of Model 3's.

That's it - the sock goes all the way down to the black laminated slab base.

They do make some bass. I have them in a HT/Music system using the model 3s up front, Model 11s in the back and a ML center. I do have some subs for HT - two 12s and two 15s. Getting the blend took some effort but it is a truly stunning presentation.

I've never taken the socks off to clean the panels - could that become a problem?

The socks are not fun to take off. If they are not making any sounds that are disturbing I would not think it is necessary. I will tell you that there is a "soot" that builds up on the plastic and the wires and I suppose it could become conductive path for arcing but dirt in and of itself is not looking to be a problem for me. I took apart a perfectly good pair of Model 3 and now have 18 loose panels I'm playing around with in various configurations and the dirtier ones sound OK to me. I don't have any that seem to have any nicotine buildup. That sludge from what I've been told will not come off and you can't really take apart a panel very easily to get to the wires inside the stator halves since they were glued together with serious stuff. That's why there is so many working panels after 30+ years. They are really robust. As you seem to be a first timer let it sink in a bit before you dig in. There should be a metal capture plate at the top of the speaker which traps the loose grill cloth. But under there is a boatload of staples that must be carefully pulled out one at a time. You can "undress" the sock down to the base carefully sliding it over itself till it is pulled down to the base. The sock is likely stapled under the slab base before the foot plate is screwed in so to remove it totally for replacement would mean unscrewing the interface box and disconnecting the wires and unbolting the foot plate to expose the other end of the sock and staples. It's quite a job I can testify. The outer frames on these are what I term "graham cracker crumb" particle board. The edges are chamfered but it is not sturdy stuff. There are hard wood lumber strips that have bevels cut in them and are attached to the particle board frames. These sturdy up the whole assembly and are what the panels are bolted to inside the frames. The whole base on my short ones was substantial out of thick ply but it is hollow. The hardwood "sticks" passed into the hollow cavity of the slab base and screw in at various points. I can't be sure what your taller base is like but I'd bet it is just a taller version of the short base. I won't tell you not to take them apart but don't do it if you are the least bit unsure if you'll put them back together. When I took mine apart I did it on purpose to dissect and learn more about them and to use the interfaces to test more loose panels I bought later. They will go back together but when is the question.:D

That's the one - the Tall Model 3s but in black. I like the fact that steve jobs has similar speakers as mine. I wish I had a boat similar to his.

That was when he was a young feller! I bet he got rid of them but boy if he did not and someone got them or if they are in the care of someone else? That'd have to be one of the most collectible pair of Acoustats ever!

Anyone know what happened to Steve Jobs Acoustats?

I have a Mac Mini and have only used Mac's since 1992! If I had a boat like his I'd sell it and use the cash for other things.

Last edited:
dgator,
I forgot to ask but what amp are you driving the Model 3's with?

The search is probably not over but I went through a few before settling on one. I'm now using an Adcom 5800. It has plenty of power and is stable given the load the Acoustat's present. It's a little bright I think compared to some others I've tried.

I've collected three Accuphase P300s and was looking forward to using one on them. They are exceptional amps and sound really fine with other speakers I've tried. At low volumes it worked ok, but at higher volume the amps clicked into protection mode. Someone suggested there may be a problem with the amp - so I tried the other two, none of them could handle the load.

For a while I used a Hafler DH220, sounded great but not enough power. On a lark, I also used a 1976 Pioneer SX-1250 receiver. I think it sounded the best of all, but it needs some work - a couple of the pots are scratchy.

Thanks. Do you know about the guy from Sounds Like New - still in business? Or is there anyone else in FL that can work on these?

To the best of my knowledge, Roy Esposito of Sounds Like New is still in operation, although apparently being semi-retired, he can be difficult to contact. His contact info can be found in the Acoustat section of The Audiocircuit website.

Unless there is a distinct problem with your speakers, they may not really need any servicing. There is little in the speaker that gradually degrades over time: most failures are abrupt and you'll know when they happen. Even so, problems are 99.9% confined to the interface, so at most you'd need to send only the interfaces for any needed repairs.

I owned the original model 2 which was sort of a two-panel version of the model 3. I also owned the the 2M which was the taller two-panel speaker with the sock going down to the horizontal base. There was also a model 2MH which was tall, had the sock going all the way down, and had an integrated dynamic woofer driven via mk-131 interface.

I remember hearing the model 6 (like stacked model 3s) in Fort Lauderdale at the "company store" a hundred years ago. I don't think I have heard deeper or cleaner bass--ever. On that trip I stopped by Coral Gables where the Infinity IRS was at one end of the store and the Levinson/Quad/Decca/Hartley stack was at the other. Think Wilson makes big speakers? Ha.

I owned the original model 2 which was sort of a two-panel version of the model 3. I also owned the the 2M which was the taller two-panel speaker with the sock going down to the horizontal base. There was also a model 2MH which was tall, had the sock going all the way down, and had an integrated dynamic woofer driven via mk-131 interface.

I remember hearing the model 6 (like stacked model 3s) in Fort Lauderdale at the "company store" a hundred years ago. I don't think I have heard deeper or cleaner bass--ever. On that trip I stopped by Coral Gables where the Infinity IRS was at one end of the store and the Levinson/Quad/Decca/Hartley stack was at the other. Think Wilson makes big speakers? Ha.

Me with my all steel modified 1+1s and my friend's modified all steel Spectra 6600 the 1+1s weigh 200 pounds the Spectra 6600 weigh 600 pounds.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.