ESL safety protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The last time I saw one up close I don't recall seeing any extra type of external protection system although I did not risk touching the stator with the my hands flat on each stator while they were operating to find out either.

I have touched mine with the the bias supply on before only when there was a leakage did I get zapped.

I have accidently touched a bare wire feeding my panels A few times and got zapped pretty good.
But this is not a practice that I would recommend by any means.

I hope that helps. jer

Just a quick question,

The stator of the ESL is powder coated or painted.
How do you ensure no contact with the stator voltage?
The two outer plates are at B+, are we just relying on the powder coat?

Regards
M. Gregg
Are you talking about the Quad ESL (aka ESL-57, although Quad themselves never used this designation)? The stator is driven push-pull by the input transformer with GND reference, and the diaphragm is at HT, not the way around. I think other electrostatic loudspeakers operate on the same principle.

Hi,

Only when the speaker is driven by a so-called direct-drive amplifier, would there be a DC voltage on the stators. That's about 1% of the products out there, and here is a real danger if the stator insulation is damaged.

In the other 99%, there will be no DC voltage on the stators. Still, unless you trust the insulation, you shouldn't touch one stator with the right hand and the other with the left while music is playing.

Kenneth

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thank's for the answers,

Just a quick question is the performance effected if the holes in the stator are square and not round?
I ask because it seems the steel plates with square holes have a higher percentage of air to metal. IE more holes to the inch.

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.