Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

How to make a good transformer for ribbon tweeter?
How to make a good transformer for ribbon tweeter?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2018, 08:25 PM   #231
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Fooey, very interesting wind.

My own foil sec transformers are similar BUT not exactly the same. On mine I am winding primarys in between each layer of secondary foil BUT I am not soldering the edges together to encapsulate as you are.

I wonder at audio frequency how much the encapsulation is doing??
Old 27th January 2018, 11:44 AM   #232
alexberg is offline alexberg
diyAudio Member

Proper HF transformer is a transmission line one, where secondary is a U-shaped piece of copper tubing, primary is wound inside of secondary and the core is a plurality of ring cores put on secondary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7_1Txphoto.jpg (36.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 29th January 2018, 02:30 AM   #233
fooeywuffle is offline fooeywuffle  United States
diyAudio Member

I would say, the totally enclosed doesn't do much until the frequency is at upper part where stray inductance and not unity coupling of primary to secondary can cause loss. Need really good coupling at the low impedance of ribbon, so enclosing it gets rid of most stray since coupling is very close to perfect. Only resistance loss is left. Tests on them show 8 ohm at 20 watts, 2K to 50K. I have no way to test beyond that, and I can only hear up to 12k anyway. I don't have any reason to make and test any other transformers since these work perfectly. Made 4 of them, and at 70 years old, just don't have the time. Would rather make more amps. It is similar to transmission line one, just 4 of them in series. Could make one like the Balun shown, but sure would take a lot of high Mu toroid's.

How to make a good transformer for ribbon tweeter?Hide this!Advertise here!