Acoustat Answer Man is here

That is a shame. Years ago I had one of the first 50prs of the original 3 panel with the amps. I let my publisher of the then "Audio Journal" talk me into the new version with transformers. They really sucked in comparison. I had thought about changing out the transformer but after looking into it, found it well nigh impossible. A real shame since the amps (aside from eating tubes) were exceptional. Regards

Thanks for the reply Andy. :O(
If you could answer another question.

I know the Servo Tube amps work very well with the X, 3, + 4 panels, but some had mentioned in the past that although the Servo tube amps work on the 2 panels (1+1) , he preferred the interface with the 1+1 speakers.
Is this because of the equalization in the amp?
If so, would it be much work to alter the equalization of the amp for 2 panels.

I know the interface has different taps for the number of panels they are running, so it is easy to adjust with the interface.

Besides my X speakers, I have a 1+1 setup with no frames, so I was thing about making some nice frames and trying out the 1+1 panels, I haven't heard 1+1 speaker before.

Thanks for your replies + also for starting up this thread! :)

This is the best I think: Stereo Page (Page 1)
Model Eight with servo's...

Cannot say if that is the best because i haven't heard them, BUT i have heard these and in my 40 years plus of audiophile life this is the BEST that i have heard.

DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800s with Bybee mods and +++++

Attachments

• Acoustat Spectra 8800 10.JPG
    Acoustat Spectra 8800 10.JPG
    512.8 KB · Views: 280

Cannot say if that is the best because i haven't heard them, BUT i have heard these and in my 40 years plus of audiophile life this is the BEST that i have heard.

DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800s with Bybee mods and +++++

They sure look better then the Eights :D

The Spectra 8800 is a beautiful built and constructed DIY Acoustat.
The Spectra 6600 was the biggest production run of the Spectra's and the Model 8 the biggest speaker Acoustat corp. made.

How about this one!

Attachments

• Soundlab Skyscraper.jpg
    Soundlab Skyscraper.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 264

The Spectra 6600 was the biggest production run of the Spectra's and the Model 8 the biggest speaker Acoustat corp. made.

How about this one!

Hi Robert before the Acoustat's became Spectra 8800s they where Spectra 6600s and your Acoustat 8s sir listed for 8k Canadian way back then and for that kind of money NOTHING and i do mean NOTHING even came close to them even in STOCK condition i have been an Acoustat owner since 1984 i have owned Spectra 22s & 33s - 2+2s - and finaly this is my third and last pair of 1+1s because i now live in a condo and for the space that i have this is the only full range double stacked model that will fit i love ALL Acoustat's BUT i do prefer the 8 feet tall models again dollar for dollar NOTHING even come's close to Acoustat's.

Attachments

• Acoustat Spectra 6600 & MrAcoustat.jpg
    Acoustat Spectra 6600 & MrAcoustat.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg
    Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 226
  • MrAcoustat & Speaker.JPG
    MrAcoustat & Speaker.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 217
Hi Robert before the Acoustat's became Spectra 8800s they where Spectra 6600s and your Acoustat 8s sir listed for 8k Canadian way back then and for that kind of money NOTHING and i do mean NOTHING even came close to them even in STOCK condition i have been an Acoustat owner since 1984 i have owned Spectra 22s & 33s - 2+2s - and finaly this is my third and last pair of 1+1s because i now live in a condo and for the space that i have this is the only full range double stacked model that will fit i love ALL Acoustat's BUT i do prefer the 8 feet tall models again dollar for dollar NOTHING even come's close to Acoustat's.
How about SoundLab A1's J. Gordon Holt seem to love them in 1984.
He ran them with a pair of Threshold SA/1's.
Jeff Rowland made even an amp for it: WL500 stands for West Labs. 500 Watts (Roger West the owner/designer of SoundLab hence 'West' Labs.) the predecessor of the model 7's.
Acoustat is great, I run my 2 + 2's since 1991 (bought them new) but SoundLab still exists in the US and Acoustat is a Chinese brandname in these days.
It was indeed a great achievement by Jim Strickland and his team assembled in Tampa FL. how they could make such a good sounding system that was not really expensive (for US and Canadian citizens, not for us in Europe). My experience tought me that your amps and frontend need to be very good to hear the real quality of the Acoustats and the smaller (full range) models need the biggest amps. A friend of mine has three pair: the 1 + 1, 2 + 2 and Spectra 4400. We recently installed a pair of PassLabs X-600's in his house and the only Acoustat that got some real movement in the blue static meters (biaslevel) that got them out of the Class A setting were the 1 + 1's.

Salon Son Image 2013

This week it's Salon Son Image 2013 in Montreal from march 21st to march 24th at the Hilton Bonaventure MrAcoustat will be there again for all 4 days this will be my 26th year to this fine show like every year i will have my special Acoustat special t-shirts for the occasion.

Salon Son & Image

Attachments

• Forever Acoustat Toujours.JPG
    Forever Acoustat Toujours.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Acoustat Still #1 Encore.JPG
    Acoustat Still #1 Encore.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Acoustat Keep It Simple.JPG
    Acoustat Keep It Simple.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Acoustat Heaven On Earth.JPG
    Acoustat Heaven On Earth.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 108

How about this one!

I assume that's some custom Sound Lab model?

I've heard there's a guy in Tennessee with a 10 panel (Monitor 10?) Acoustat with two Servos per side...

Funny i have had Acoustat from the Xs in the 80s...1+1s 2+2s 1s 2s M3 M4s Diy 3+3s..i gess that the M6s..or 600........
But i have found ... to me the best sound i have ever got is my M3 made with 3ea 9"...No 8"..... panels setup at 10" off the floor... most output...sweetest sound...i see the dobbel panel tall... not as sweet...an harder to drive...but i like the look of the 2+2 type...but when the panels on the floor..it lose something...now i am in a room....18'x25'x13'..my M3s can have 14' from inside to inside....Big Stage up an down...
With nothing in the room ...Tube amps on the floor...an a chair..
.so in a small setup the taller may be ok..
.just one mans O-pine.............Long Live Acoustats

To me the wider the Acoustat, the fuller and better the overall sound, especially with the Servos. I have 1+1, 2+2, 3+1 speakers currently; none of them quite matches the overall sound of the Monitor 4 I used to have, although the 3+1 gets the closest. However, since acquiring my first set of double-height Acoustats (the 2+2) I enjoy the way they sound whether I'm standing or laying on the floor, and now I want the best of both worlds, which is why my ultimate goal is a DIY Monitor 8. Since my room doubles as a home gym, I do spend a fair amount of time laying and standing, and the single-height X (which I used as the basis for my 3+1) bothered me when I lost high frequency performance while in these listening positions. I guess there's no magic bullet Acoustat that's just right for everyone, but that's the fun of modding....

Acoustat Spectra 44/4400 66/6600 Transformers (TTA-246B)

In case anybody is in the market for some Spectra 44/4400 or 66/6600 transformers, there are 6 pair for sale on ebay now...just search for "TTA-246B" if link below does not work.
Acoustat tta 246B Spectra 44 66 Transformers Pair Original New Parts | eBay

Remember you will need a pair of them for each speaker since one transformer has 1/2 of the HF secondary(on one transformer leg) and 1/2 of the LF secondary(on the other leg). See attached schematic for details on wiring up the transformers in the MK(Magne-Kinetic) configuration that provides bass equalization and panel segmentation needed for flat response with the large area dipole ESLs.

Attachments

• MK-2146.gif
    MK-2146.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Recently bought myself an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver and today I removed the analog crossovers in my Acoustat Spectra 11 front speakers and instead use the digital crossover and bi-amping in the Onkyo. I set the digital XO to 320 Hz with some overlap between the woofer and the ESL panel as this gave the smoothest measurement curve in REW. After that I used the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration. The best way I can describe the sound is magical, amazing detail and clarity in acoustic music :) All I can say is that using analog XO's (even with excellent caps) really doesn't do these amazing speakers full justice. And Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is an excellent product.