Acoustat Answer Man is here

Yep I had a moscode 600 to, I wouldn't call it a great preformer by any means, lots better tubers on the market.
Moray those ref9's are class d icepower, My amps I use on the acoustats are classd icepower as well, The ref9 mono blocks had a rough time with my Scintilla's, My S250's handled them with ease and graciouslly ,got very high reviews even better than the ref9. They really are a nice sounding amp for a classD, It's here to stay:) Al
PS: building this one now.

Attachments

• B&Oicepower.jpg
    B&Oicepower.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Acoustat Spectra 8800 DIY Jocelyn Jeanson

Friday december 14/ 2012 i had the chance to sit in front of the biggest Acoustat i have ever seen in over 40 years with that make most everybody that know me know how i love every speaker Acoustat ever made because for ME it as always been one of the biggest bang for the buck out there well these panels are not only big the soundstage on these is incredible for a panel that wide here is a photo of me with the Spectra 8800 i am 5 foot 6 and weigh 225 pounds but next to the panel i look like a small person.:):):)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have only a meager 2 + 2...
The biggest production model was the Model Eight (professional series) though with two intrefaces per channel 3 Ohm parallel driven and 6 Ohm with two stereo´s or four mono´s.
Biggest Spectra were the 66/6600.
But these look phenomenal with an impeccable finish so it looks.
I bought my four panel stacked Acoustat´s new in 1990 and never parted with them.

I have only a meager 2 + 2...
The biggest production model was the Model Eight (professional series) though with two intrefaces per channel 3 Ohm parallel driven and 6 Ohm with two stereo´s or four mono´s.
Biggest Spectra were the 66/6600.
But these look phenomenal with an impeccable finish so it looks.
I bought my four panel stacked Acoustat´s new in 1990 and never parted with them.

These Acoustat 1+1s are originals from 1984 they have been highly modified since then you can see the rebuild in my Flickr photo galery Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream in 25 steps if you wish enjoy. André MrAcoustat Sévigny.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
These Acoustat 1+1s are originals from 1984 they have been highly modified since then you can see the rebuild in my Flickr photo galery Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream in 25 steps if you wish enjoy. André MrAcoustat Sévigny.

Chapeau, superb piece of craftmanship by your part.
All the energy of the moving mylar is passed on to the surrounding air as intended opposed to get trapped in a not so rigid frame.

Who made those Spectra 8800´s then and what´s there arrangement?
Eight vertically stacked Spectra units in a Four + Four arrangement I suppose?

Strange thing though is that the original non Spectra models with electrostatic elements in a side by side fashion used a slight curvature to adress the beaming effect. The Spectra technology adressed this problem with a active electrical solution inside the interface so the slight angling of the adjacent elements with the Spectra technology is not necessary anymore.

Chapeau, superb piece of craftmanship by your part.
All the energy of the moving mylar is passed on to the surrounding air as intended opposed to get trapped in a not so rigid frame.

Who made those Spectra 8800´s then and what´s there arrangement?
Eight vertically stacked Spectra units in a Four + Four arrangement I suppose?

Strange thing though is that the original non Spectra models with electrostatic elements in a side by side fashion used a slight curvature to adress the beaming effect. The Spectra technology adressed this problem with a active electrical solution inside the interface so the slight angling of the adjacent elements with the Spectra technology is not necessary anymore.

Hi Brian the Spectra 8800s where built from a pair of Spectra 6600s with the addition of a pair of 1+1s joined together with a special all steel frame bolted together with only a quarter inch space between them they are straight no curve at all. André

Hi Brian the Spectra 8800s where built from a pair of Spectra 6600s with the addition of a pair of 1+1s joined together with a special all steel frame bolted together with only a quarter inch space between them they are straight no curve at all. André

I say no more....

Well only this ;):
How is the 1 + 1 feeded? From the same Spectra 6600 interface or still from it´s own interface. Is there any active filtering going on between the 6600 and 1 + 1 part or is it just behaving as one big unit like with the Eights and Sixes?

I say no more....

Well only this ;):
How is the 1 + 1 feeded? From the same Spectra 6600 interface or still from it´s own interface. Is there any active filtering going on between the 6600 and 1 + 1 part or is it just behaving as one big unit like with the Eights and Sixes?

Hi Brian technicaly i don't know much all i can tell you is that there are only one interface per speaker both speakers use only one Plinius SA-250 MK1V amplifier and with ALL Acoustat's the more panels you are driving the easier the load the most difficult load being MINE the 1+1s only 2 panels but 81 - 82dbs.

Hi Brian technicaly i don't know much all i can tell you is that there are only one interface per speaker both speakers use only one Plinius SA-250 MK1V amplifier and with ALL Acoustat's the more panels you are driving the easier the load the most difficult load being MINE the 1+1s only 2 panels but 81 - 82dbs.

Then it´s acting as one big radiating surface.

Yes your correct that the 1 + 1 gives in 3dB´s of efficiency compared to a two times as large surface like the Four or 2 + 2.
Another thing we noticed when we compared a friends 1 + 1 with my 2 + 2 is better bass punch of the latter.
Still another friend has an old pair of Sixes that fried literally two Van Medenvoort PA220 poweramps such a tough load it apparently presented to the melting amps.
I even had a big German Restek Exponent mono-amps (like the Accuphase M1000) with even the same specs as the Accuphase that gave in with a puff of smoke...

This may seem odd, but I find low voltage output amps have a very difficult time with Acoustats, The reason I say this,,,The Bryston 6B monoblocks I have drove them with ease and had a rough time with .7 ohm Apogee Scintilla's, I had the Bryston's modified and they drive the Scintilla's with ease now. However I can not hook them up to the Acoustats no more, the overload lights fly on with no input at all. Yes they shove pile's of high current, great on ribbons, but useless on Acoustats. I have used lots of smaller amps even the Hafler 200 drove them, not loud, but it drove them, but it's a high voltage output, lot of tube amps use high voltage output as well, for instance my AR D250 250 watts per channel can't drive the Scintilla's, but plays with the Acoustats go figure! My Sansui BA 5000, 300w at 2 ohm smoke's if it even gets close to the Scintilla's, drive's Acoustats without a sweat. Al

This may seem odd, but I find low voltage output amps have a very difficult time with Acoustats, The reason I say this,,,The Bryston 6B monoblocks I have drove them with ease and had a rough time with .7 ohm Apogee Scintilla's, I had the Bryston's modified and they drive the Scintilla's with ease now. However I can not hook them up to the Acoustats no more, the overload lights fly on with no input at all. Yes they shove pile's of high current, great on ribbons, but useless on Acoustats. I have used lots of smaller amps even the Hafler 200 drove them, not loud, but it drove them, but it's a high voltage output, lot of tube amps use high voltage output as well, for instance my AR D250 250 watts per channel can't drive the Scintilla's, but plays with the Acoustats go figure! My Sansui BA 5000, 300w at 2 ohm smoke's if it even gets close to the Scintilla's, drive's Acoustats without a sweat. Al

I´ve heard this before but my experience is just the other way around.
My Yamaha M2 can deliver at least 40 Volts at 4 Ohms but does not like my Acoustats at all. My Levinson ML-2 puts out 17 Volts in every load you can imagine and drives the Acoustats with ease. It can be clipped but it seems to tolerate more from my 2 + 2´s then the Yamaha M2.
A McIntosh MC-2500 did not like the Acoustats at all.

The highcurrent high voltage designs like the Krell KMA-200´s, the Levinson ML-3 and Rowland model 7´s were never fully taxed with the load from the Acoustats and could drive it with ease.
Threshold SA/1´s lie somewhere between the Levinson ML-2´s and the three powerhouses mentioned above.

So my experience is if you want it all with Acoustat choose a highcurrent highvoltage design. I think Acoustats need both voltage and current.

My ideal poweramplifier was the Rowland model 7 (latest incarnation) being both powerfull and musical sounding but my wife sanctioned it because the size of the ML-2´s was her limit...

Last edited:
I have been using the small Chord CPM-2600 integrated amplifier with my Acoustat 1+1s for close to two years now without any issues but to be fair i don't listend very loud with Acoustat's you don't have to everything is there even at low volumes at least for me my living room is 14x20x8 feet and also is in a condo i do respect the other owners.

I think the interface looks after the stator voltage's, all the amp does is basically look after the bios ac. just my theory I'm probably wrong, but if their is a small amount of truth in it, voltage would push it more than current although both be needed. Knowing nothing of the workings of the interface, just guesswork on my part. Al

Joined 2005
Paid Member
My model 3 had issues with every amp except my Krell KSA-50 Clone (it has a 1.2KVA Toroidal tranny). Even my Aleph 5 clone (albeit a 600VA toroid) and Icepower 1000ASP amp had a little difficulty....

In the end, all it took was a single series 1 ohm resistor in series with speaker to make it play nice with every amp I have. I guess I cheated? Never really listened for a sonic difference....

Ok now that I have replaced the HF caps, I would like to lower my high freq 3db, my RTA says I have to much and its turned down. any ideas? Thanks Al

Hmmm, that's a new one on me. If anything, most folks say their Acoustats don't have enough top-end energy. Interpretation of RTA measurements must be done carefully. Did you have the microphone at the listening position? Most importantly, what do your EARS say?

If you already have the HF Balance control turned down to minimum, then I don't have any suggestions for reducing the HF content.

Hmmm, that's a new one on me. If anything, most folks say their Acoustats don't have enough top-end energy. Interpretation of RTA measurements must be done carefully. Did you have the microphone at the listening position? Most importantly, what do your EARS say?

If you already have the HF Balance control turned down to minimum, then I don't have any suggestions for reducing the HF content.

Wow if Andy doesn't have an answer it's going to be hard to find one, i for one don't like excessif HF so i understand you very well this is one of the reasons i didn't want silver wire NOWHERE in my panels my wires are ALL copper but i do know that others prefer silver to each his own.:):):)