Acoustat Answer Man is here

The cap bank was to big to put inside without moving the PCB. I don't ever plan to sell them, and yes I put in a groumat in the hole :). soldering was done properly, I air cool leads to protect the caps. Caps are bi polar, but put them all in same way. I do somehow remember way back, that when you switch out an electrolytic with film oil that you take a percentage of it's uf value. I think I might be filtering off my HF. I've built enough amps and so fourth and change in break in is never that dramatic. Their attached to that variable resister, so I gather they are filtering something, I'll be generous and give them a 100 hrs, their on 24hrs a day. Thanks Moray for your help. I WILL sort this out :) Al

New Spectra 22 owner

I recently acquired some Spectra 22's in excellent physical and operational condition (as far as I can tell). I've had Magnepan MMG's and currently have MG-IIIa's though I didn't get any more than about a week of listening time with the -IIIa's before they lost a ribbon and I was able to determine they have a little bit of delam going on (I've sidelined them until I can get new ribbons and repair the delam).

My impressions of the 22's after a few weeks of ownership are quite favorable. They do all the things I love about line source dipoles (realistic scale, three dimensional soundstage, well defined imaging) and I'm enjoying the sonic personality of my first ESL's. Clarity and detail is very good and mid range melodic content a little on the laid back side, but certainly not held back or withdrawn.....nice and musical, actually. Mid range percussion content could stand to be a tad more physical (compared to my Infinity QLS-1's) to achieve more realism, but being a drummer I'm perhaps a bit more critical of this than most. By and large they do most everything very well with exception to LF dynamics....which I'm not expecting as I understand that's not a performance characteristic the design should be able to deliver.

I use a pair of H-frame OB subs (w/ 15" Eminence Alpha LF drivers) with low pass on the xover set to about 90 hz and they integrate very nicely with the 22's. Amplification comes from an Aragon 8008 and I've been using my Grant Fidelity tube DAC-09 as the pre but recently acquired an Acurus RL11 preamp and am just now doing my initial listening with it....so no opinion of that piece in the chain as of yet (though I am enjoying the gain boost from the pre as the tube DAC wouldn't get peak SPL over 85db).

I'm wanting to know more about my 22's as info out there is a little scarce. How is the division of bandwidth allocated to the panels? I think I understand there is a full range panel, a panel that does mid and low, and a low (woofer) panel but would like clarification on this.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing about any proven mods to the interfaces or the panels...i.e. cap upgrades or rigid frames.

And finally, how did the Spectra 22/2200 rank wrt performance compared to all other models of Acoustats and some of the more popular and successful ESL designs (Quads, etc)? Any notable strengths or weaknesses?

Thanks,
Michael

Oh, it's an addition to the existing speaker. Interesting. Any info on how it is attached?

Yes you're correct, a pair of Spectra 6600s and a pair of 1+1s all steel frame covered with mahogany wood bolted together with a special steel bracket and all steel parts powder painted in a pro shop i will be at his place friday and should come back with more photos.

Troubleshooting 1+1s

I have a pr of 1+1s that I bought back in the 80s when they were released. For the last several years they have been at my cabin and have been used by several 'friends' that have spent weekends there.
Last time I checked them they sounded very lifeless, inefficient and had very little output. My first thought was the HV bias supply had failed. I've checked with a crude diy HV probe and it looks to be fine. At this point I am wondering if one of the audio xformers has been damaged.
Can I use a scope and check the transformers at low levels? If so, What should the step up ratio be?

Great thread! I would love to get them working how I remember them!

I have a pr of 1+1s that I bought back in the 80s when they were released. For the last several years they have been at my cabin and have been used by several 'friends' that have spent weekends there.
Last time I checked them they sounded very lifeless, inefficient and had very little output. My first thought was the HV bias supply had failed. I've checked with a crude diy HV probe and it looks to be fine. At this point I am wondering if one of the audio xformers has been damaged.
Can I use a scope and check the transformers at low levels? If so, What should the step up ratio be?

Based on your description of the problem, my first thought would have been a problem with the bias supply. But it sounds like you've already ruled out that possibility. However, do make sure that the speakers have been energized and playing for at least several hours before making any judgements - they do take a while to reach 'full bloom', especially if they haven't been energized in a while.

Bad transformers rarely cause this sort of problem. When they do go bad, it's usually a problem of high-voltage arcing at high volumes, or if bad enough, fuse blowing at all levels. This is good news for you, since replacement transformers are difficult (but not impossible) to find...but they are expensive! I'm not saying for sure that the problem is not in the transformers - just that it's unlikely based on the symptoms.

My suggestion would be to check all the capacitors first, especially the large .01-uF caps on the PC board. Be sure they are fully discharged before checking! If they are okay, check the resistors. Also make sure that the bass transformer tap is making a good connection - it should be on the RED tap for the Model 1+1. Also check the contact on the sliding resistor that is part of the HF balance control - these can oxidize over time and cause problems.

Let me know how this goes - we'll get your speakers working again!

If you're so inclined, it would be worth the cost & effort to replace all the caps/resistors/diodes with current level quality parts. Can be done fairly cheaply and will improve the sound and reliability. They are 20+ year old speakers, after all. Stock, the 1+1 is a great speaker (even at 20+ years old) but the interfaces can benefit from an update. Good luck!

If you're so inclined, it would be worth the cost & effort to replace all the caps/resistors/diodes with current level quality parts. Can be done fairly cheaply and will improve the sound and reliability. They are 20+ year old speakers, after all. Stock, the 1+1 is a great speaker (even at 20+ years old) but the interfaces can benefit from an update. Good luck!

Yes they sure can and at a very reasonable cost, go ahead they are realy wort it.

I believe I can source all the components locally. The plan is to fetch the 1+1s this weekend and tear into the matching network at the house where I have more gear/time. Hopefully the panels are OK. I'm not afraid of the other stuff including rewinding a transformer.

Should the panels ever require retensioning with a heat gun? How does one determine the proper tension? Panel resonance?

What is the proper bias voltage?

What is the step up ratio of the transformers?

I would like to measure and document all this.

Well my 2+2's are finally taking form, weird how they can go down hill and come right back singing like never heard before, I guess CAPS do need a good break in period, still have the head in a vise effect tho, inch either way and you know it, question is, I wonder what effect angling the panels more or less in the frame might widen it? I have a spare set to play with. I just may buy another set and make model 8's. Thanks Al

Al you can expect the caps to keep changing for many weeks to come though the changes get smaller. If you insert a cap and it sounds stunning for a brief time you can be sure that no matter what is does while it is forming it will never end up worse than the best you heard and will likely improve with play time. Good to hear that you are making head way with the capacitors. When I ran 2+2's i used to work off the inside panels (left and right) and centre them aiming around my shoulders. Angling panels is to me a poor compromise either make them flat and live with a very tight sweet spot or make them smaller ala 0ne plus 0ne's. That is why the 0ne plus 0ne is the best staging image producing of the Acoustat family. Six inch wide panels would be even better. Going bigger is going backwards from a stage image and focus point of view. I have found that most of the time when an owner complains that his Acoustat's beam the cause is most always the amp. An amp can play loud run at normal temps not shut down and even make bass but that does not mean it likes or does well with the load. With an amp which is happy to run the load you can sit at either end of a couch and get very good stage and image. No it won't be the same as the centre spot but it will be very good.
You are in for a great Christmas time as your caps will be sounding great by then. Merry Christmas to you in Rider territory. Best regards Moray James.

The Hafler is one of the amps which actually was reasonably stable it had lotss of current and plenty of volts to swing so that wat the advantage ther it was and is not (in stock form) al thet great a sounding amp though it is well enough balanced except for the deep bass register. Up graded it can impress so they make a good used buy so long as you can stand the fan, I can't. The Meitner amps work very well like a STR50 small amp runs a set of 2+2's very well they too need upgrading though. Ed used 2+2 as his reference for years and is a good bud of Jim Strickland. The older Msofer Luxman amps will also do a fine job There is newer stuff. a properly adjusted set of NuForce Ref9's sound excellent but you have to get the protection dialed in or they spend the day turning off and level seems to have nothing to do with it.. Hey the green Machine always seem to have the Stamps number all to often and very often right here in Calgary where it hurts most to loose. Just slip that drink in the mail. Best regards Moray James.

The Hafler is one of the amps which actually was reasonably stable it had lotss of current and plenty of volts to swing so that wat the advantage ther it was and is not (in stock form) al thet great a sounding amp though it is well enough balanced except for the deep bass register. Up graded it can impress so they make a good used buy so long as you can stand the fan, I can't. The Meitner amps work very well like a STR50 small amp runs a set of 2+2's very well they too need upgrading though. Ed used 2+2 as his reference for years and is a good bud of Jim Strickland. The older Msofer Luxman amps will also do a fine job There is newer stuff. a properly adjusted set of NuForce Ref9's sound excellent but you have to get the protection dialed in or they spend the day turning off and level seems to have nothing to do with it.. Hey the green Machine always seem to have the Stamps number all to often and very often right here in Calgary where it hurts most to loose. Just slip that drink in the mail. Best regards Moray James.

When in Montreal Ed Meitner's reference speakers where yes you guessed it the Acoustat 2+2s they belonged to the rep Denis Robert it was one of the best systems back then MTR-101s x 4 - PA-6 preamp & CD-3 cd player i think it would even be pretty darn good today.:):):)

Moscode 600 works very well with acoustats. Moray James suggested I get one and I love it

Yes sir, New York Audio Labs gear was realy good stuff.

Moscode600TubeAmplifier.jpg