Acoustat Answer Man is here

Hello guys,

New member, first post. I have a pair of Spectra 11s that I bought new in 1990. I have always loved the sound. I performed the Mundorf cap mod described by Phazer99 in post #355 of this thread and all I can say is wow. Am I glad I found this site. Thanks to all for posting up info.

Lamar

Welcome, always good to hear success stories from people learning on this site.

Hello guys,

New member, first post. I have a pair of Spectra 11s that I bought new in 1990. I have always loved the sound. I performed the Mundorf cap mod described by Phazer99 in post #355 of this thread and all I can say is wow. Am I glad I found this site. Thanks to all for posting up info.

Lamar

Welcome Lamar, yes this site is pretty incredible and whe get the chance to meet very nice people of course most here are Acoustat fans so whe already know that they are good people.:):):)

I currently have a pair of Model 1s with the sub and thinking of getting a pair of Model 2s, that are about an hour away from me. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I wait for a pair of 1+1s, which seem to get a lot of praise? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bulldawg81 Just to be real honest i haven't heard a pair of Acoustat's that i haven't liked BUT in 28 years i have owned Spectra 22s - 33s - 2+2s - and three pairs of 1+1s MY preference goes to the 1+1s BUT if you prefer your music loud then go for any of the bigger 94 inches high models they will play MUCH louder but the 1+1s are the most tri dimensional of the bunch.

ps: i live in a condo i don't listend loud and i don't like subwoofers ( even if i had the room ) if i did my choice would be Spectra 6600s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/

Last edited:
It well only take 5min for you to know if you feel the M2 are better..an if the $$ is right..an you do any Diy in this hobby....the M2s have the same panels an interfases as the 1+1s...an with the one panel you have you can make a pr M3s like i have..are a pr 1+1.. or just get one more panel an have a pr of 2+2s... in 95 i payer $500.for 1+1s...have fun

Last edited:
In the Acoustat camp there are the 6 footers and the 8 footers both very good BUT both very different IF you don't have the height for the taller one's then you don't have a CHOICE but IF you do go for the 8 footers.
PS: The most popular model in the line as always been the 2+2s.
This site is for ALL stats lovers. http://www.hifi-zenit.de/index.php?src=elektrostaten

Last edited:
I got way from the taller...Acoustats i have found the 1+1...2+2..are what ever ..just FOR ME are not needed ...
1. I can hear were the top an the bottem of the panels meet!
2. I dont stand.... i set down in my biger room...So for my ears...geting the middel of the panels at ear level...sounds better...now if i could get the 2+2s up off the floor 15-18"............i like to hear that...oh yea.....fun
.just one mans 0-pine...
Hell any Acoustat vary hard to beet....
long live acoustats

I got way from the taller...Acoustats i have found the 1+1...2+2..are what ever ..just FOR ME are not needed ...
1. I can hear were the top an the bottem of the panels meet!
2. I dont stand.... i set down in my biger room...So for my ears...geting the middel of the panels at ear level...sounds better...now if i could get the 2+2s up off the floor 15-18"............i like to hear that...oh yea.....fun
.just one mans 0-pine...
Hell any Acoustat vary hard to beet....
long live acoustats

To me, there is that discontinuity between the upper & lower panels, too, and the closer to the center of the panel my ears are (vertically) the better they sound. That's why I'm contemplating trying to build double height panels. Not sure if it will work well, but the idea of gluing acrylic louvers together at the ends to form single 8' tall panel seems doable. Harder to make, I'm sure, but then I'd only have to make 8 of them instead of 16 regular sized panels for my eventual "Monitor 8" project. Not sure what electrical/mechanical differences would be introduced as far as interfacing with the Servo amps might be, but I think that would solve the issue.

Thank you for the inputs, what I'm wanting is better imaging and that's what I'm hoping for with the Model 2s. As far diy goes, that's something I guess I could eventually look into. The only thing for me is finding time to actually go see them. I guess I'll give the guy a call and set up an audition. Again, thank you for everybody's input.

Thank you for the inputs, what I'm wanting is better imaging and that's what I'm hoping for with the Model 2s. As far diy goes, that's something I guess I could eventually look into. The only thing for me is finding time to actually go see them. I guess I'll give the guy a call and set up an audition. Again, thank you for everybody's input.

If you're looking for better imaging, then you probably won't find it in the Model Two. The Model One and Model 1+1 are generally considered to have the best imaging of the pre-Spectra Acoustat models.

That being said, it might still be worth giving the Model Two an audition. Having twice the panel area compared to the Model One, and being a full range ESL, you may find other reasons to prefer the Model Two. It will play louder, and the quality of bass will be far superior. The trade-off of slightly less precise imaging may become secondary compared to the Model Two's advantages.

The Model 1+1 may be the best choice for you if you have full 8-foot ceilings. It has essentially the same imaging as the Model One, while offering the advantages of having twice the panel area and being a full-range ESL. So many choices!

Hi Acoustat owners next week i will be at my friend Jocelyn's place for a little session i will go and listend to a 1500 pounds pair of Spectra 8800s rebuilt by him of course because the only 8 panels Acoustats where the model 8 they have never made Spectra 88s or 8800s i will get back to you with my findings i will listend to BOTH with subs and without i already have a pretty good idea wich one i will prefer i am not in the PRO subwoofer camp for me it as always been about the quality of the bass rather than the quantity to each is own it is still a free country to each is own.:):):)

Hi, Need info bad, I took my MK121-2a apart for a peek at the capacitors I was gonna replace. Originals are Electrocube 10.0 +-20% 135vac (big yellow one),, the small yellow one is .01 100v,,, the (blue tin can) is 220uf 50v ... Is there a ratio for uf from electrolitic to film cap???. cause I only bought 57uf of premium gold film caps.

Hi, Need info bad, I took my MK121-2a apart for a peek at the capacitors I was gonna replace. Originals are Electrocube 10.0 +-20% 135vac (big yellow one),, the small yellow one is .01 100v,,, the (blue tin can) is 220uf 50v ... Is there a ratio for uf from electrolitic to film cap???. cause I only bought 57uf of premium gold film caps.

Sent you a private message. André

Hi Acoustat owners next week i will be at my friend Jocelyn's place for a little session i will go and listend to a 1500 pounds pair of Spectra 8800s rebuilt by him of course because the only 8 panels Acoustats where the model 8 they have never made Spectra 88s or 8800s i will get back to you with my findings i will listend to BOTH with subs and without i already have a pretty good idea wich one i will prefer i am not in the PRO subwoofer camp for me it as always been about the quality of the bass rather than the quantity to each is own it is still a free country to each is own.:):):)

Insane. I can't imagine they would have any need for subs. I know people have built Servo-powered 8 panel "Monitor 8" setups (I've heard there's a guy in Tennessee with a quad Servo "Monitor 10" !!) but I've never heard of a Spectra 88/8800 being attempted, especially in the fashion I assume (based on pics of Jocelyn's work) this one was built. Have fun, and let's see some pics!

Hello guys,

Lamar
Yep, the cap upgrade really makes the speakers go from great to exceptional. :D

Insane. I can't imagine they would have any need for subs. I know people have built Servo-powered 8 panel "Monitor 8" setups (I've heard there's a guy in Tennessee with a quad Servo "Monitor 10" !!) but I've never heard of a Spectra 88/8800 being attempted, especially in the fashion I assume (based on pics of Jocelyn's work) this one was built. Have fun, and let's see some pics!

Hi hella356, before the Spectra 8800s they where 6600s even then they did not need subwoofers BUT he chooses to add subwoofers after all they are HIS speakers all i can say is that he realy doesn't need them but it's his choice i know that i will be at his house next week and i will report my listening session as soon as i can i'm sure that it will be another very good day it's realy fun being retired.:):):)

Well I did my upgrade on the HF caps today, I desoidered the 2 white wires, drilled a 3/8 hole above the speaker cable posts , slide the wires through and soidered them to the new caps. The caps just sit on top of the interface. I used Obiggatto premiun foil, 5-10uf 630v +-5% and 1- 6,8uf 630v +-5% total uf 56.8. I hooked up interface plugged them in and started stuff I was real familiar with. Right off the get go the sound stage was more centered and depth was deeper, voices had more separation, HF's much better, but seemed rolled off. The bass didn't seem as punchy as before, hard to tell as the midrange up took most of my attention. I also got a few Clarity MR, Mundorf Mcaps to add on to see what changes they make, easy task as clip on the stack. :) Al

Well have 30 hrs on the recap, played some music I know backwards and forwards, Not pleased at all, I always had my HF turned down, now I have it wide open and still down a few db, the fuzzies are still there, just hidden under a grey cloud, things I heard really clearly before are out in the fog somewhere around the north pole, might have something to do with dielectric absorbsoin or induction from the length of cap wires. Al Thank goody I can use the caps in my Scintilla xo rebuild if need to look for another set.

you just need to wait.Thirty hours is nothing remember that you are forming a brand new capacitor. You will go broke changing ultra dollar caps if you switch them out every other day you need to give them time. Did you bother to test them in both directions? You want your signal going to the beginning of the cap wind which is in the middle of the cap. Is your bundle of caps all mixed up? Were you careful soldering them in? Do you have a real soldering iron. if you cook these things you can damage them. Chill out and see what you think after Christmas time will tell you what you need to know.

I can't believe you drilled holes in your cases and mounted these outside. I cannot imagine what a customer would have thought if I had done such a thing but I know I would have been looking for a new set of cases. I hope you have lots of insulation on the caps and the leads and tell me that you did put grommets into the holes you drilled in the case? Best regards Moray James.