Acoustat Answer Man is here

I have a 25+year old set of Acoustat +1 (I believe thats correct?). They have an attached woofer enclosure and since I didn't buy them new I'm not sure of the model#.
Years ago i installed the medallion upgrade and reconed the woofers and have enjoyed them thoroughly especially since I added on an audio/visual room (19' x 24'-with a stepped ceiling) and bought both a Lexicon MC-12 and two Lexicon/Bryston mono amps to drive them. #1-I need some advice if there is any any upgrades the Acoustat answer man can offer? and #2 if the existing wire terminals/posts can be replaced as I have a terrible time making a tight mechanical connection to the speaker cables with the banana clips I'm using.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mr. Acoustat,
I've searched through my online parts providers for a 220 uF polypropylene capacitor and have only come up with a Solen 200 uF-200V. Whats the effect of going away from polypropylene in favor of a standard polarized capacitor?
Any thoughts on locating a supplier?

Mr. Acoustat,
I've searched through my online parts providers for a 220 uF polypropylene capacitor and have only come up with a Solen 200 uF-200V. Whats the effect of going away from polypropylene in favor of a standard polarized capacitor?

If you need to replace the capacitor, or would like to upgrade, polypropylene is the way to go. Electrolytic capcitors are audibly inferior, but are often used due to their much lower cost. You can always parallel multiple capacitors to achieve the 220-uF value. The exact final value is not critical: within +/- 20% would be acceptable. So even the 200-uF could be used.

Mr. Acoustat,

Hi mykeygoodguy, good thing for me that AcoustatAnswerMan answered because i have ZERO knowledge technicaly i rely on my friend Jocelyn he's the man behind all my mods if you are interested in contacting him please send me your Email and i will send you Jocelyn's just like Andy Szabo he like's to help us Acoustat fans thank's to guy's like them our baby's stay alive.:):):):):)

Mr. Acoustat,

I just re-read your post, and noted you said "standard polarized capacitor". Please note that if you elect to stay with an electrolytic capacitor, it must be a NON-polarized electrolytic. Polarized electrolytics are for use only in DC circuits, whereas non-polarized electrolytics are for AC circuits like speaker crossovers.

10-4. I think the way to go is two metalized polypropylenes in parallel??. The two would have an individual rating of 100uF each and be rated at 400v+- depending on the manufacturer (either Solen,Dayton or Audyn-a German company)
Any thoughts on the reduction in the capacitance or the above companies?

I just bought a pair of 1100 from CL. Initially I thought the sound was veiled somewhat. So I replaced the aluminum connections (4 in each box) in the crossover box with some silver wires and the veiling was mostly gone. Powered with Yamaha MX1000 and a passive pre, I am very happy with the speaker.

Have had Soundlab Aura with Atmosphere, ML CLS, Mag of various model, Infinity ren 90 and RS II, I would say the Acoustat 1100 does not make me miss any speakers mentioned above.

Hello guys,

New member, first post. I have a pair of Spectra 11s that I bought new in 1990. I have always loved the sound. I performed the Mundorf cap mod described by Phazer99 in post #355 of this thread and all I can say is wow. Am I glad I found this site. Thanks to all for posting up info.

Lamar